Technical Support Forum Index
Technical Support Forum
Access ChemAxon scientists and developers here. For registration and login issues contact website support.

Support Ticket System is replacing forum

This forum was converted into a searchable archive. You cannot add posts here any more. For support please use our new Ticket System.

Create your first ticket
SMARTS Substructure searches
To watch this topic for replies  Register (enables digests) or give email address:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
    View previous topic :: View next topic    
James

Link to postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 pmPost subject: SMARTS Substructure searches Reply with quote

In Excel,† Iím using =JCSubstructureMatchCount(J$2,$B31) to look for specific substructures in SMILES structures. †

I have two specific questions.†

I have used a number of SMARTS like

CH (aromatic) † †

[cH1]

-C (aromatic) † †

[cH0]

N (aromatic) † †

n

Where the small letter c or n should mean carbon or nitrogen in an aromatic context,† but the JCSubstructureMatchCount is finding them in any context. †

Secondly, I would like to find, for example, a primary alchohol, but not in a carboxylic acid.† ([Cv4][OH1]) finds primary alcohols in any context.

†I†would think that ††([Cv4][OH1])!([CX3](=O)[OX2H1])† would work. But it doesnít.† Can you suggest a solution?

Krisztina
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:10 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

Regarding your second question, as a first idea we recommend to apply the following SMARTS expression:

[$([CX4]O)]

The following pages might also help you to create the appropriate SMARTS:

http://www.daylight.com/dayhtml/doc/theory/theory.smarts.html (see the Recursive SMARTS section)

http://www.daylight.com/dayhtml_tutorials/languages/smarts/smarts_examples.html

Best regards,

Krisztina

Anna
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:22 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

The issue is, that [n] is recognized as a simple N is SMILES and SMARTS. Please, use [n;a] or [#7;a] instead, see in attached example file.

You can check if your SMARTS is correct in MarvinSketch, if you draw the structure and select Edit/Source/View: SMARTS, SMARTS.

Let me know, if this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Filename: SMARTS_Queries_SubstructureMatchCount.xlsx    Filesize: 15.6 KB    Downloaded: 77 Time(s)
 Description:  
James

Link to postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:04 pmPost subject: SMARTS Substructure searches Reply with quote

aforro wrote:

Hi James,

The issue is, that [n] is recognized as a simple N is SMILES and SMARTS. Please, use [n;a] or [#7;a] instead, see in attached example file.

You can check if your SMARTS is correct in MarvinSketch, if you draw the structure and select Edit/Source/View: SMARTS, SMARTS.

Let me know, if this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Hi Anna,†

Thanks!†

This absolutely solved the problem! †I have referred to the Daylight documentation and I never saw the "a" functionality. †Is this a standard SMARTS nomenclature?

James

Link to postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:07 pmPost subject: SMARTS Substructure searches Reply with quote

Thanks,†Krisztina

That solved the problem.†

Can you explain what the function of $ is in this context?

James

Link to postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:20 pmPost subject: SMARTS Substructure searches Reply with quote

Anna and†Krisztina,†

As follow up questions.†

1. Similar to the alcohol but not carboxyllic acid, how do I specific and amine but not amide? I used [NX3;H2], but this also hits amides.†

2. How can I specify a primary secondary and tertiary alcohol eg CX3-OH, CX2H-OH, CXH2-OH?

Thanks

Alex†

Krisztina
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:52 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I think the answers are found on the pages I linked in my previous post† -† I could not answer better.

On that page, please look for:

Recursive SMARTS

amine, not amide

If you need more detailed support we can assist within the frame of a consultancy project.

Best regards,

Krisztina

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1

To watch this topic for replies   Register (enables digests) or give email address  
Jump to: