Technical Support Forum Index
Technical Support Forum
Access ChemAxon scientists and developers here. For registration and login issues contact website support.

Support Ticket System is replacing forum

This forum was converted into a searchable archive. You cannot add posts here any more. For support please use our new Ticket System.

Create your first ticket
Shared projects
To watch this topic for replies  Register (enables digests) or give email address:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
    View previous topic :: View next topic    
David

Link to postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 amPost subject: Shared projects Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is it possible to deploy a shared project by putting the .ijp and .zip files on a shared network drive (and avoid the use of a web server)?

David
Tim
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:52 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Yes, I think this should work.
You will need to use a file:// url rather thand a http:// one.
Also you will not be able to use the IJC URLs feature, as this requires deployment to a servlet compliant web server.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Tim
David

Link to postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:46 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and using 'file:///path/to/file.ijp' gives me a red 'invalid url or config' message and a grey 'OK' button (Mac and Linux versions).

Cheers

David
Tim
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Sorry, yes you seem to be correct.
In fact this bug is fixed in the 2.4 version, so I think you will be able to do this once that is out.

You can see a preview of the 2.4 version here.
http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem-jws/dev/
We hope to release the final version next week.

Tim
David

Link to postPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I'll try it out then.

Cheers

David
David

Link to postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:17 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I have now tried this in version 2.4 and indeed it does work. It would be nice (from the novice user point of view) to have a regular file browser to open the .ijp file.

Is it possible to specify the location of the ijc license file in the .ijs file? If so, what is the syntax for this.

Cheers

David
Tim
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:00 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

The project deployment was designed for web based deployment, along with all the deployment featrues such as Java Web Start, and IJC URLs.
It was not really designed for deploying via shared files, with these happen to work because they can also be specified as a URL of the file: type.
So a file picker does not really make much sense here.
I think you shoudl be able to get around this just by sending people the correct file URL to use so that they can copy and paste it.

For licenses the best option is to deploy the license file as part of the Java Web Start configuration. See here for details.
http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/admin/startup_options.html

Tim
David

Link to postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:06 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

You may not have designed it that way, but I think that in our case where we have a network file system, it will work quite well. Certainly the addition of shared projects is a big improvement. Previously, the requirement for each user to connect to the database server and supply a username and password for both the database and IJC was quite complex. If you could, additionally, preconfigure the license file location, that would be one more complexity removed (as far as the standard user is concerned).

Personally, I am yet to be a convert to java webstart applications. One of the problems I have is losing the URL that points to them. If the application is installed on my hard disk, I can usually navigate to find it in my 'Applications' folder!

Thanks and regards

David
Marc

Link to postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

have you looked at the InstantJChem java webstart application? It actually copies the java code to your local folder and places an icon on the desktop - much like installing IJC using the windows installer. In my setup, the license file is also copied to the local drive from the server and the entire application can be used offline - again, much like IJC installed using the windows installer. In fact, the two versions are functionally identical from what I can see.

MC

PS good to see another Aust user!
Tim
ChemAxon personnel

Link to postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:02 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Correct. The 2 versions are identical.
Albeit that deploying using JWS allows some extra things that can only really make sense in that environment e.g IJC URLs and deploying a license file as part of the JWS config.

Tim
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1

To watch this topic for replies   Register (enables digests) or give email address  
Jump to: