Excel not showing JChem tab

User e4183f4538

24-05-2010 18:54:07

I recently installed JChem for Excel on a computer with MSOffice 2007, .NET framework 2.0 + SP2.

The Add-ins and JChem tab is not showing up. When I dig through the options/properties tabs, the Add-ins section says that JChem for Excel is installed. The install didn't bomb out either, so I'm assuming it installed properly.

This may be more of an Excel problem, but I'm hoping someone knows why the tab/drop-down menu isn't showing up. There didn't seem to be an obvious check box to allow add-ins to show. I didn't install the software either, so I don't know if there was an option to disable add-ins during the installtion procedure, and if so, how to re-enable them.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

24-05-2010 19:39:05

Dear Erin,

please check the following post:

https://www.chemaxon.com/forum/ftopic4828.html

you can check it possibly among disabled addins as well and enable it.

If you cannot reenable it, or get it working somehow, please send me the log file that you can find under:

C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel on Vista and above.

on XP:

C:\Document and Settings\<your user>\Application Data\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel\

*.JCXLLOG

Viktor

User e4183f4538

26-05-2010 20:38:03

Thanks for the reply!

Under the Add-ins management, the JChem functions are listed under Inactive Applications Add-ins (JChemExcel Functions - the Add-in and COM, and the JChemExcel JChemExcelAddin). When I select to manage the Add-ins, everything (including the JChemExcel Functions) is unselected. If I check it and click OK, it does not enable. When I try this again, it's still unselected. Same story with the COM add-ins: both are listed, but despite me enabling them, they are disabled when I come back. They're also still listed under Inactive Applications Add-Ins.

Same story after complete uninstall and reinstall.

Oddly enough, an install log is not being created either. Our users log on using the campus active directory (don't know if that makes a difference), but there is no C:\Document and Settings\<your
user>\Application Data directory, and when I search for any *.JCXLLOG, nothing is found.

We *could* reinstall MSOffice and go from there, but I'm hoping not to.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

26-05-2010 20:54:19

Dear Erin,

I also do not think so to install Office again, the problem is somewhere else, so please do not do that.

For any reason the addin gets inactive by Excel, the only explanation can be that somewhere there is a serious exception Excel perceives. The log would be the only option for us.

If your user home is redirected somewhere else, please turn to tyour system admin to give info to you about where normal user folders are redirected into. That would be the most important step you need to take.
Admin should know where CSIDL_APPDATA located in your system.

Other idea came to my head, we are writing logs into the event log, which should be available on your computer as well. Please check if JChemExcel writes any important error there!

Viktor

User e4183f4538

26-05-2010 22:15:10

Viktor,

We've located the Application Data/JChem For Excel folder, but alas, still no log file - hidden or visible. Searching the disk finds no trace of *.JCXLLOG, nor is there a roaming profile that would have the default Application Data hidden away somewhere.  

Do you know of an easy way to track where the log file would be written during an install, or rather, how to force it to be written to a temporary directory? 

Thanks!

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

27-05-2010 07:06:21

Hi Erin,

what about the event log, it is also a stream where we report serious issues into?

Viktor

User e4183f4538

19-07-2010 21:08:17

Viktor,

We set this aside for several weeks and I've just come back. The user tells me that when he installed Office he deselected 'something' that meant 'all macros or other programs or something would always be off'. After some digging, I found a box in the Add-Ins section of the Trust Center under Excel options that offered to 'disable all Add-ins'. I unchecked this and rechecked the COM add-ins for JChem, restarted Excel and it worked! Turns out he must have selected to disable all Add-ins during the initial installation. (The even log was showing no errors during installation).

Under the COM Add-in management the Load behavior said that the user had deselected to disable macros, not add-ins. Apparently Excel sometimes thinks they're the same thing? Either way, it works now that the user no long disables add-ins.

Thanks again!