Problems with 5.3.1

User ac9e79dc7d

04-03-2010 15:43:48

I recently upgraded the JChem/Marvin suite to 5.3.1 and have found that since then, the functions in JChem for Excel no longer work.  (I also upgraded JChem for Excel to 5.3.1 using the separate installer.)

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and Excel 2007.  When I load Excel, the JChem tab opens, and in some instances the top buttons are colored.  However, the buttons all gray out and I lose JChem function if I try to use any of them.  

For example, if I click on a cell which has a smiles string and then click "from SMILES" a software logo window pops up for a split second (not fast enough for me to see what it says) and all of the JChem icons gray out and nothing happens.   If I load an Excel file which already has embedded structures that I had generated using JChem for Excel previously, the icons are grayed out from the start and the structures do not show up. I have run the license manager and it says all of my licenses are valid for the software suite, including JChem for Excel.

I was wondering if I could get help with this problem, and if there is not an immediate fix to this issue, is there a way I can revert to a previous verison of JChem for Excel?  Would this require reinstalling previous versions of the entire software package, or could I simply revert only the JChem for Excel software?

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

04-03-2010 18:42:13

Dear Lauren,

the issue seems to me that you got exception at startup, when the application is about to load the plugin (after checking the symptoms more you wrote down). It is typically happens when native plugin is loaded properly and you are accessing the buttons to invoke the .NET part and it rather fails. If the dot NET part is failed the native plugin stops providing the functionlities to protect you against further red x exceptions you could get and also against any damage of  Excel.

Please check what .NET version is installed on your machine. And what you could check is your home folder if the plugin reported any internal problems for us (here):

C:\Users\YOUR USER ID\AppData\Roaming\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel

please send us the logs (latest) if you have, or please ZIP the whole folder and send it to us.

Basically the Windows 7 and  bit systems are not supported officially (not in our test environments) however I quickly tested the latest build 5.3.1.1885 on WIndows 7 64-bit and WIndows 2008 server 64 bit, which is even more extrem environment.
No similar issues found to what you perceived. The functionalities worked fine.

Thank you,
Viktor

User ac9e79dc7d

04-03-2010 19:37:21

Viktor,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I emailed the log files to support _at_ chemaxon.com

My machine has .NET versions:

v2.0.50727

v3.0

v3.5

-Lauren

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

04-03-2010 19:41:36

Lauren,

yes, sorry I forgot to give you the direct email address of mine, since this forum does not accept just some specific formats, hwoever the ZIP migth be accepted.

Better to forward the matial to me [email protected] <[email protected]>.

Thanks,

Viktor