Broken link when moving from 32 to 64 bit Windows

User 465350dfe6

28-03-2014 10:49:38

When I save an excel spreadsheet with JC4XL functions in it under 32-bit Windows and then try to open it under 64-bit Windows, I get the following error message:

"This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated"

I then have to click on "Edit Links..." and change the path of JCFunctions.xla from

C:\Program Files\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel

Is there a way to have JC4XL check the version of Windows (32 or 64 bit) and then look for JCFunctions.xla in the appropriate folder?

Thanks

ChemAxon eb65a25631

28-03-2014 10:58:32

Hi,

This is an Excel limitation, that path is saved in the workbook, there's nothing we can do about it.

The only known way to resolve this issue, by using the 'Edit Links...', you mentioned.

Regards,

Andras

User 465350dfe6

31-03-2014 15:59:01

Andras,

Thanks for your answer. Do you think I could move/reinstall JChem in C:\Program Files\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel (instead of Program Files (x86)) and solve the problem that way, or is that not a good idea?

Thanks.

ChemAxon eb65a25631

31-03-2014 16:17:24

Hi,

I never tried it. Theoretically it can work, but I consider it as an unsupported scenario.

If this is a persistent issue (creating workbooks in a machine then transferring them to another, where JChemExcel installed elsewhere) you might consider disabling the jcfunctions.xla:

- File/Options/Add-Ins, Manage Excel Add-ins, Go, uncheck 'jcfunctions'

The JChemExcel formulas will not contain the installation path in the workbooks created from now on.

But you will lose the formula descriptions/context help in the Function Wizard dialog for the JChemExcel functions.

Regards,

Andras