.Net WCF service for searching large MySQL database

User 873a9ae9d0

29-04-2014 09:44:15

HI,

we have a pretty big chemaxon db hosted in a MySQL db on a Windows 2012 server.

What we want to do is to have a WCF service do searches in that db.

We tried to use both the ChemAxon SOAP and the REST webservices (version 6.2) , but do not succeed because of various issues. The biggest problem is performance. An ordinary substructure search (using the rest api) takes minutes.

Now we installed Instant JChem on the server  and doing substructure searches from within that application the substructure takes seconds (instead of minutes).

Now we are wondering if we should (can) go away from the webservice and use the .Net API to access the db.

My question:

Is it possible to have a WCF webservice (hosted on IIS) creating a server cache that can be used by the WCF service for doing e.g. substructure searches in the MySQL db using the ChemAxon .Net packge ?

Of course, since it is a service, it should be possible that more than one user can simultaneously to searches in the db. In our case there might be at a given time up to two or three concurrent users using the service.

Another question: Since we already have a IJC server side cache (accessed by the IJC desktop app running on the windows server)- Could the WCF service via the .Net APi use the IJC server cache. In that case we do not need to create two severside caches (as stated the db is rather big (around 22 million structures).

Hope to hear from you.

Best regards

Hans-Juergen
AKos GmbH

ChemAxon 4375c6431d

29-04-2014 15:32:43

Hi Hans,

Please try our new .NET API. You can find the documentation and examples there:

http://www.chemaxon.com/dotNET/6.3/examples.html

http://www.chemaxon.com/dotNET/6.3/examples/jchem/Database/DatabaseExample.cs.html

Regards,

Miklos

ChemAxon 4375c6431d

29-04-2014 15:36:26

You can download the latest .NET API installer there: https://www.chemaxon.com/download.php?d=/data/download/jchem/devel/JChem_NET_API_6_3_0_115_315.x86.msi

User 873a9ae9d0

29-04-2014 22:45:37

Hi Miklos,

thanks for the links in your response.

Question: Since the link to the 'newest' .Net api installer is marked as being 'not fully tested',

is there a major advantage of begin my first chemaxon .net project with version 6.3 , rather than installing the 'official' latest and greatest version (v 6.2.2) ?

i personally would prefer to start with the official latest and greatest rather than starting with a developers release, but if you can tell me reasons why I should start from the begin with version 6.3 and the reasoning makes sense to me, I will consider to start with installing version 6.3.

So please let me know why you suggested to install version 6.3. Thanks for that in advance.

Best regards

Hans-Juergen

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

29-04-2014 22:52:03

Hi Hans,

the reason is that we think we managed to create a powerful and easy-to-use API over the underlying JChem Base API.

And we would really appreciate to get feedback from another project in addition to our internal ones.

We would like to promote the new ChemAxon.NET Dastabse API for everyone who would like to use the .NET platform and ChemAxon DB search engines in the future.

6.3 will be released very soon in May.

Viktor