A question over which license would cover this...

User 0927b82fae

09-11-2011 15:10:35

Hello!

After reading pages on the different licenses, I am uncertain as to which license would be applicable for my situation, and I was wondering if you could help me in understanding which license I would need.

The project I am working on is a Java program, which creates a database of lipid molecules, searches the database for user-specified values, and returns the relevant results.  The user then chooses which of the search results they desire, and the program then draws out the structure of the lipid.  In order to display the results, I was going to use the MarvinView software, in a similar (if not identical...) manner as described here (http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/examples/beans/view-jtable/index.html).

The intention for the application, is that it is to be freely accessable on the web by members of our institution, as well as the general scientific community (should they so choose), however the source-code and related materials, are to remain unpublished.

I felt as if this project would fall under either the Academic Research License, or the Academic Web License, however, I wanted to confirm which license would be appropriate for this use.

Thank you for your time!

ChemAxon 0265132c1a

09-11-2011 16:49:28

Dear Graeme,

Your feelings were pretty close to the solution - at first I would say, it falls under a simple FreeWeb license. For us the most important to know is whether you gain any kind of commercial benefit from this web page (including even advertisment fees) or not. If you confirm it won't earn you a cent I'll be more than happy to generate a FreeWeb license to you.

The next step from your side should be sending an email to me and explaining about the commercial nature of the project and describing whether you need anything more than MarvinViewer or not (maybe JChem Base would be useful too).

Have a nice day,

Janos