Can't get to the license manager

User fd6b3edf57

20-09-2010 18:24:28

I installed Jchem on my lab computer and I'm trying to apply the demo license. However, when I start Excel and click on any of the Jchem buttons, all I see is the splash box which appears for a few seconds, after which it disappears and all the Jchem modules fade to grey and become unclickable. Then nothing happens. I can't get to the license manager tool or anything else. I tried everything from uninstalling, re-installing, restarting, and in all combinations. Nothing worked.

Thank you in advance for any help.

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

22-09-2010 06:29:24

Dear Hassan,

please send us the log file you might get from JChem4XL in the following folder:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel

if you have Windows XP then please find the Applicatio Data folder instead.

Thanks,

Viktor

User fd6b3edf57

22-09-2010 16:48:58

I use windows XP. What exactly is the name (and path?) of the file I should be looking for?

The path for Jchem's app folder on my computer is as follows: C:\Program Files\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

22-09-2010 16:53:52

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your user>\Application Data\ChemAxon\JChem for Excel

or

you can check the Event Log (Windows administration tool) we are exporting the critical errors to there.

My first tip is that you do not have the latest dotnet version installed, please check the software requirements in terms of this.

https://www.chemaxon.com/download/jchem-for-excel/

Requires Microsoft Excel 2003 SP3 or 2007 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

User fd6b3edf57

22-09-2010 16:56:47

That was indeed the case when I first tried to install. The installation software complained about having an older version of dotNet, so I upgraded to the lastest version from microsoft's website. That allowed the installation to proceed, but now I'm running into this problem, and I can't find any such log file as your describe anywhere on my C drive.

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

22-09-2010 18:02:02

please make sure that this directory to be visible

it should be there!

And please check event log. (Event viewer)

User fd6b3edf57

22-09-2010 18:24:12

Here's the information I found in my event viewer:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    JCHEMforEXCEL
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    0
Date:        9/22/2010
Time:        2:21:55 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    xxx
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( JCHEMforEXCEL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Error number: {-2147467259(An unspecified failure has occurred.)}
      Error source: {JChemExcelProxy::OnRibbonAction}
      Error Description: {Problem occured while raising click event from ribbon! (An unspecified failure has occurred.)}.

User fd6b3edf57

22-09-2010 19:05:25

I previously misinterpreted your post to mean that I need to have the latest version of .NET. I went back and reread all the posts and realized that I need 3.5. So I removed 4.0 and installed 3.5 and now it works fine.

Thanks for your help.

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

22-09-2010 19:06:48

Please try to increase the log level of JChem4XL, since the application is not started (UI part) youcannot set it from the gui, comfortably, please change the;

____

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ChemAxon\JCHEMforEXCEL]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ChemAxon\JCHEMforEXCEL\Verbose]
"Level"=dword:00000003
"FileName"="JCHEMforEXCEL"
"FileExtension"="jcxllog"
"MessageFormat"="%s [%d]%s %s - %s

"
"DateFormat"="%H:%M:%S"

_________

maybe we can see more from the log if the level is set to 5 from 1.

It sems that dotnet area is not loaded for installation or system patch reasons, the dotnet framework does not work proprly.

let see, if the call at least arrives on the dotnet part, or the whole dotnet part cannot be laoded at all.

ChemAxon bd13b5bd77

22-09-2010 19:25:24

Thanks for the feedback!

we need to test the system with 4.0 framework too, to analyze your installation issue in more detailed way.

Viktor