Developing under open license

User 0ccd249401

01-07-2010 06:57:29

Hi!

Can i develop my application using JChem & Marvin and distribute it under open license (like academic license or so on)?

Thanks!

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

05-07-2010 11:50:20

HI

It depends. If this is commercial then yes, though we need to form a commercial relationship (partnering). If this is an freely distributed functionality then we would ask that licenses were neded for our funciotnality and users download from our site.If this is distributed as open source then we had supported free use for universities but as I say it depends.

Can you tell me more about this - if you prefer you can mail me aa__/at\__chemaxon__.__cm

Cheers/Alex

User 0ccd249401

06-07-2010 10:43:30

Hi, alexa! Thanks for answer!

My application (in future) is an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) for laboratories engaged in organic synthesis. And I need a drawing panel for chemical reactions. I want to use your Marvin control under academic license & distribute my application under the same license. The application develops by using .NET 4.0, WPF & MS SQL Server Express (or other DBS engines).

What do I need to do it were all in accordance with your license?

P.S. Your e-mail address doesn't display correctly, can you send me mail on my e-mail: "[email protected]"

P.S.S. Sorry for my english!

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

06-07-2010 11:56:24

HI,

Sounds interesting and I write about licensing separately by email but I wanted to make sure you have seen what is free at ChemAxon and our EULA, web pages. Do these help?

Cheers/Alex

User 0ccd249401

06-07-2010 12:36:33

I have read EULA & other.
My idea is create ELN & use it in laboratories of my University. Isn't it an academic usage? But if I'll want to give my ELN for free to another universities. How can I do this without violation of the free license of academic package. Or is it not real to do for free under only academic package license?

P.S. Sorry, but purchase of your product is so expensive for us & we want to find the way to use it in scientific direction in university's research laboratories, as we understood the academic package can help us.

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

06-07-2010 14:18:23

HI,

We have licensed http://www.chemicalinventory.org/ for use with academic package but this is for universities only and not for profit research. This project is also open source.

Price should not be a limiting factor for non commercial academic research. But even if you do need to license commercially we are always open and we (obviously) support academic use wherever we can.

I await the additional data by email and continue this conversation over there.

Cheers/Alex

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

09-07-2010 09:02:44

Just to close this off.

We are able to license this instance for this university freely because it is covered by the academic web license.

For using on other institutions we can sponsor because the developed code will be open source and other academic users can use academic web license in the same way. For commercial users working with the funciotnality they can license commrcially in a straight forward way

Chers/Alex