Academic License Problem

User 19b2bd0ab6

03-04-2010 15:03:23

Hello,

I have an academic license which I have not been able to get to work after following the necessary instuctions as the searches are still limited. I peeked into the file I downloaded from the forum and noticed that there is a limit of 2 searches per minutes. Is this an error?

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

03-04-2010 15:08:32

Hi,

This is not an error. Can you tells us what you are doing that you are running against this limit

Cheers/Alex

User 19b2bd0ab6

06-04-2010 02:49:56

Hello,

I have installed the license to /var/root/.chemaxon. Before doing so I was getting a LicenseException in my catalina.out file. When I tried to test JChem by doing several structure searches in less than 30 sec (just for testing purposes) it says:

AbandonedObjectPool is used (org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool@36$
   LogAbandoned: true
   RemoveAbandoned: true
   RemoveAbandonedTimeout: 200
Too many searches in the last minute.
If needed, plase contact sales _at_ chemaxon.com
for a license key that allows more searches
per minute
Date: 2010-04-05 Time: 22:44:05:  Search frequency exceeded.

This should not be according to what I am hearing. Is that correct? Could the problem be Marvin Sketch?

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

06-04-2010 08:33:54

HI Could you explain what the process is that needs more than 2 searches a minute, ie what are you trying to do/solve?

Cheers/Alex

User 19b2bd0ab6

06-04-2010 13:26:47

No process I am doing really NEEDS more than 2 searches per minute but it was my understanding that the Academic License does not have this restriction. The fact that this restriction seems to be occuring would seem like an error to me since I've been told there are no restrictions for this license.

When I first installed JChem I was getting LicenseException errors which I expected since there was no license file installed at that time. I couldn't search at all. My Tomcat server runs as root so I created a .chemaxon directory in roots directory and put the license file from the forum in it. This removed the LicenseException errors. In an effort to test that there was no restriction I tried performing many searches in less than 30 seconds as a test. In doing this the application (Chemical Inventory [www.chemicalinventory.org]) said I exceeded the max number of searches for JChem. It looked like the first 3 searches were ok but after that no good.

I haven't done anything else because JChem recognizes the license file but the license file has restrictions in it that I'm told are not supposed to be there.

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

07-04-2010 07:53:39

HI,

This is not an error, we implemented a 2 searches/min limitation for academic package because this was a personal license and we felt that this would be sufficient. To be honest we have rarely been asked to extend so I think the limit is fine.

If you need additional searches/min let me know more about what you are trying to do. Notice we can give unlimited searches/min for Academic or Free Web - but this is for web implementations used solely for academic and not commercial research

Cheers/Alex

User 19b2bd0ab6

07-04-2010 13:25:16

Hello.

If I could get a license that has unlimited searches that would be great. I am doing graduate academic research. My research group has about 500 chemicals that we inventory. The structure searches are for internal use search our inventory using an open source inventory program called Chemical Inventory (www.chemicalinventory.org). We do not perform searches that often but when starting a new project or direction it is often times useful to perform a wide array of structure searching to see what we have in hand. Also, we are a group of about 15 students (grad and undergrad) and if we were to use the structure search one after the other this could be a potential bottle neck. We would then have to institute a "sign up system" or something for the inventory system which I feel requires more of a time commitment than we are willing to put into this.

Thank you,

Dan

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

08-04-2010 13:30:45

HI

I understand now. We can license for use in this regard but for free provision we need all users to be academic and the research not to be commercial in anyway. Obviously we can commercially license if these are limitations.

Email me aa__at__chemaxon__.__com

Cheers/Alex