Licensing Marvin For Free Program

User 8d48c2d7d1

04-12-2009 03:02:22

Hi,

I have written a small program to help with parsing data out of the chemical literature. It uses the MarvinBeans.jar libraries, but none of the calculation tools or anything requiring a license.

I would like to write up a short article for a journal regarding this program, as part of this I want to make the program as easy to distribute (freely) as possible. Reading the end user license agreement it seems clear that I cannot package MarvinBeans.jar with the program and distribute one large jar file.

I plan on releasing the code as well, so I was thinking of simply posting the file in the forum. Another option I am considering is using something like Java Web Start to grab all the relevant packages and display any EULAs associated.

Is there any simple way to release this program that could include the MarvinBeans.jar or fetch them as part of an install? I am trying to target this program at non-technical users so I would like to avoid having the user mess around with gathering the various libraries.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Andrew Roth

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

04-12-2009 04:47:25

HI Andrew,

Can you tell me more about the code you have written, can you send to us to see/try it. Also can you tell us about how you will distribute and license.

Certainly it will be fine to post to the "Contributions" forum in the meantime

Cheers
Alex

User 8d48c2d7d1

04-12-2009 05:19:36

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the quick respones.

I would like to release the code under the GPL v2 license, in part because I am also using a GPL v2 library in addition to MarvinBeans.

I am in the midst of refactoring part of the code, but I would be happy to send over the program once that is done. What address should I send it to?

Cheers,

Andrew

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

04-12-2009 05:22:35

HI Andrew,

aa -*at*-chemaxon-*.-*com. Can you also say more about what the code is doing and in particular where/how Marvin is used

Cheers
Alex

User 8d48c2d7d1

04-12-2009 05:35:16

Hi Alex,

The code is parsing csv tables containing scaffolds (in cxsmiles format), R-Groups (in common nomenclature) and experimtal properties. It then prompts the user to sketch the R-Groups using an MSketchPane. I am using this step to convert from common names to cxsmiles. Finally it assmebles the R-Groups and scaffold using the MarvinBeans API and outputs everything to SDF format appending the experimtal data to each molecule.

Basically I want to provide a quick way to extract chemical data from journal articles which contain tables represented by scaffolds and R-Groups.

I hope that was clear enough, please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Andrew

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

11-12-2009 11:02:32

HI Andrew,

From your email I think this is solved now. Let us know when the site goes up and do post the code to the contributions if you feel it would be useful

Cheers
Alex