share my experience: unable to load Marvin applet in Linux

User 39ade0cdf9

18-12-2012 02:53:14

Hello all,

I tried to run the Jchem db_search example on my redhat RHEL server 6.2 system, with firefox 3.6.24 browser, but the Marvin applet plugin is always loading, with a java.lang.exception.NullPointerException, no detailed information.

Then I tried a local marvin example in the docs of Jchem, it also failed. But when I tried JMOL applet plugin, no problem.

Then I checked the plugins in the add-on menu of firefox browser, I found the Iced-Tea web applet plugin of openJDK. But when I installed SUN JDK 1.7.0_10 with rpm package, and make a symbol link of JDK 1.7.0_10's  libnpjp2.so to $home/.mozilla/plugins, the SUN java plugin was still not working.

Then I disabled the Iced-Tea web applet plugin of openJDK, firefox browser prompt the applet was disabled, then I am sure Marvin was using the JVM of openJDK. Note that Jchem do not support openJDK.

Finally, I checked the /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64, it's a symbol link to /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so, then I change the symbol link using:

ln -s /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_10/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so  /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64

Okay, the marvin works fine now!

For Linux without openJDK installed, just make a symbol link of java plugin to $home/.mozilla/plugins, then Marvin will work! 

(Need firefox version above 3.6, else ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so  ~/.mozilla/extensions)

ChemAxon a3d59b832c

18-12-2012 11:01:27

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this information with the wider community.

(And for the stamina to find the final working configuration.)

Best regards,

Szabolcs