Cartridge 5.6 and TNS name problems

User e4183f4538

15-09-2011 22:35:17

Hi!

I am installing JChem Cartridge 5.6.0.0 on a new server (11g, RHES 6)

During the installation when asked for the TNS name, I had to use a route we previously discussed, and entered:

"//oracle:1521/bmed.oracle.clnp.umt.edu"

(as the other routes didn't work: bmed, bmed.oracle.clnp.umt.edu etc)

I adjusted the logging.properties all to FINEST

Cartridge server then starts up with no errors. However, in SQLPLUS:

SQL> call jchem_core_pkg.use_password('<password>');
call jchem_core_pkg.use_password('<password>')
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-29532: Java call terminated by uncaught Java exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException
ORA-06512: at "CHEMAXON.JCHEM_CORE_PKG", line 61
ORA-06512: at "CHEMAXON.JCHEM_CORE_PKG", line 55

The error pitched when trying to access the jcart directly, I get this error:

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/loadjava -user chemaxon/<password>@jchem /chemaxon/JChem/cartridge/jcart.jar

Error while processing class chemaxon/util/StringUtil
    Exception oracle.aurora.server.tools.loadjava.ConnectionError: could not open connection
SQL Error while connecting with oci8 driver to chemaxon: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

I have a working version of cartridge 5.5 on my other server, and I've matched the jcart.properties files to have the same structure (for the relevant server).

tnsnames.ora is correct as all the other components work with Oracle (so it would seem). I don't seen any obvious differences, but something is awry.

Where can I go from here to trouble shoot?

[chemaxon@oracle bin]$ ./java -version

java version "1.6.0_20"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.8) (rhel-1.39.1.9.8.el6_1-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

Thanks!!

Erin

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

16-09-2011 12:00:47

Hi Erin,

Unfortunately, the link to the required Java runtime (JDK) in the installation documentation is not correct. The correct URL is: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-6u27-download-440405.html . (The point being that a stock [Sun/Oracle] Java runtime is required as opposed to OpenJDK to which the link in the released docs is pointing. I've now fixed the link in the documentation available on the ChemAxon website. )

Please, could you install this JDK version and point your/JCC's JAVA_HOME environment variable to this version? Reinstalling JChem Cartridge is problably not necessary, but restarting the JChem Server is.

If the problem persists, could you please, send the corresponding Java stack trace from the Oracle trace files? (To be found in /home/oracle/app/diag/rdbms/mydb11r2/mydb11r2/trace/ in my environment.)

Thanks

Peter

User e4183f4538

19-09-2011 21:01:12

Peter,

No dice, same TNS error is given even when the Java version is switched:

[oracle@oracle trace]$ $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0_27"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_27-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.2-b06, mixed mode)

I am emailing you the trace files since they contain a lot of specific information about the network/server.

Thanks!

Erin

User e4183f4538

20-09-2011 03:04:35

Peter,

Turns out the first install did not create the JC_IDX_PROPERTY table (despite giving no errors), so there was no entry for rmi.server.1 to reference. I reinstalled cartridge and this time the tables were generated.

Et voila! I could have the cartrdige calls.

Only then did I realize that IJC is only up to 5.5 and thus pitches an error when trying to connect to the 5.6 cartridge backed schema - so I need to uninstall and downgrade to cartridge 5.5. Ah well - at least I know what that kind of error means.

Thanks for your help!

Erin

ChemAxon a3d59b832c

20-09-2011 09:21:50

Hi Erin,

IJC 5.6 will be released in a few days. The release candidate can be downloaded here:

http://www.chemaxon.com/shared/tim/ijc_dev/ijc_5_6_0/rc1/

However, IJC 5.6 is only needed if you use cartridge indexes on JCB tables.

Best regards,

Szabolcs

User e4183f4538

20-09-2011 15:40:43

However, IJC 5.6 is only needed if you use cartridge indexes on JCB tables.

This is EXACTLY what I need! 

Thanks so much! 

Erin