jchemmanager password authentication failure

User d4e43202ac

09-09-2011 21:03:35

I am installing a jchem database on a server.  I am getting the following error message:

Message: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "harper"

I can access the database via psql with the -W (request password) option, so I know the database password is correct.  I have run out of things to try.  Any ideas?

I upgraded to JChem 5.5.1.0 - did not help.  This is a 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 server.  Tomcat serves the index.jsp and setup.jsp pages properly. 

Thanks,

CDD

ChemAxon a3d59b832c

12-09-2011 07:59:25

Hi,

If Tomcat can connect OK, I suggest to check what difference may be in case of JChem Manager.

I list a few possible problems:

- Java version: Please note that JChem Manager only runs with Sun JRE, and not with GNU Java.

- JDBC connection settings. (URL, driver, etc.)

- JDBC driver. You may try to replace the JDBC driver under "JChem\lib\jdbc" to the one which is working with Tomcat.

Let us know if these do not help.

Best regards,

Szabolcs

User d4e43202ac

12-09-2011 21:13:20

I am still experiencing the problem.

tomcat serves the setup.html page correctly.

java -version gives:

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

I presume the driver that is used is the one in:  .../java/lib

is that correct?  It is the same as the one on the machine that works.

Could it have something to do with being remotely loggged in; or could there be something cached somewhere that is creating a problem?

Thanks,

CDD

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

12-09-2011 21:45:52

Hi,

For some databases permissions for local  and remote users might be different, and might have to be set separately.

Please consult the manual of your particular database.

Also you must be make sure all connection parameters match in the two cases - with one exception: "localhost" or "127.0.0.1", as this will point to a different database on a different machine. This is trivial, but possible to miss.

Best,

Szilard

User d4e43202ac

20-09-2011 22:09:11

Hi Szilard,

I discovered that only the default user (postgres) can connect using jchemmanager.  That solves the first problem, since I can set up my database tables.

However, when I try to connect (index.jsp), it is unable to find my driver.  I have tried various locations for it without success.  Any suggestions?

'no suitable driver found'

Since I have successfully used this driver before, I conclude that it is just not finding it.

cdd

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

23-09-2011 15:12:06

Hi,

I _assume_ you are referring to the db_example jsp application inside a Tomcat web server.

(let us know otherwise, usually for a new problem it's best to start a new topic with all details)

- Make sure you have the same driver specified

- Make sure the JDBC URL syntax is correct, and the same as for JChemManager

- This page helps with Tomcat settings:

http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/admin/tomcat.html

- Remember to restart Tomcat after changes

- Please consult the your web server (Tomcat?) documentation for further information on using jar library files