Oracle partitioned table and index

User 6da83343bf

08-06-2011 15:02:12

Hello,

I would like to use partitioned jchem table and index (jc_idxtype). I have read the CREATE INDEX and JCHEM_TABLE_PKG.CREATE_JCTABLE documentations, but I have not found anything about it.

Please tell me, how I can create partitioned table and index on Oracle 11g with Cartridge 5.5.

Thanks,

Nagy Domonkos

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

08-06-2011 17:26:35

Hello Domonkos,

You don't have to execute any extra command to for creating partitioned indexes, they get created and managed behind the scenes along with the base table's partitions.

With plain structure tables, partitioning the base table should be trivial -- just execute the CREATE TABLE statement with the desired partitioning clause (such as PARTITION BY RANGE(id) (PARTITION px VALUES LESS THAN (MAXVALUE))). If you later split the partition into multiple partitions (ALTER TABLE ... SPLIT PARTITION px AT (750) INTO (PARTITION px1, PARTITION p4)), the index table will follow suit and searches will be partitioned along the table/index partitions automatically.

The same applies for JCB structure tables, except that (1) they include the index data themselves with no separate index tables associated with them (the automatic index partitioning is then all the more obvious), (2) you have to use the JChem Manager GUI to create the tables as the "Create Table SQL" dialog box of this tool allows you to insert the appropriate table partitioning clause into the generated SQL.

Peter