How to set up JChem Servers for multiple Oracle databases?

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

08-12-2010 18:47:56

If I have Jchem server on server A and three Oracle databases each on different boxes B, C, D.  Does this means I'll need to install Jchem server three times? Looks to me you can only have one Jchem server installation per box. Can you suggest the right way to set it up? (what installed where).

If you have three distinct Oracle servers B, C, D, you need one JChem Server instance for each. One way of doing this is to "co-locate" them on the Oracle server they're meant to be serving (one JChem Server on each Oracle server).

If JChem Server is to run on a machine "A" which is distinct from the Oracle servers you can do the following:

1. Install one JChem Server on machine "A" to serve Oracle server "B".

2. Copy the jchem/cartridge directory of the newly installed JChem Server to jchem/cartridge_B.

3. Make a copy of jchem/cartridge_B for Oracle servers "C" and "D" (jchem/cartridge_C and jchem/cartridge_D respectively).

4. Modify the jchem/cartridge_C/conf/jcart.properites and jchem/cartridge_D/conf/jcart.properties files so that

4.1 the oracle.server.host, oracle.server.instance and oracle.server.port properties point to the required Oracle server instance on C and D respectively;

4.2 each JChem Server instance has different values for the jchem.server.port property (with each JChem Server instance having its own port to listen).

5. You can start the JChem servers by executing server.sh start in their respective cartridge home home directory (jchem/cartridge_B, jchem/cartridge_C and jchem/cartridge_D)

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

08-12-2010 18:52:42

How do I upgrade the multi-step setup described above?

During upgrade, the upgrade
script checks the directory that it is being invoked from. If the
final part of the directory is named "cartridge" then it assumes
that the old cartridge directory could be found by appending
/cartridge to the path to the old JChem installation. Otherwise a
second prompt is raised requesting the path to the old installation.