Performance and setMaxTimeout , setMaxResultCount

User 2a533dbb3b

03-12-2010 18:07:11

What is the impact on the JChem server when using the setMaxTimeout and setMaxResultCount settings of JChemSearch.  Say for example, a seach that would normally take 10 minutes gets timed out after 1 minute.  I realize the request on the client will return around the 1 minute mark but does the JChem server stop the request immediately or does it continue in the background.  I have same question with the setMaxResultCount.  Basically I'm concerned about the performance impact on the JChem Server if many max results or timeouts occur.    
Thanks,P

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

03-12-2010 19:06:11

I realize the request on the client will return around the 1 minute mark but does the JChem server stop the request immediately or does it continue in the background. 

I does stop the search process, no CPU utilization after that.

I have same question with the setMaxResultCount. 

Usually the same except in the case of Similarity search, where always the N most similar structures are returned.

So the search will not finish sooner even for the client for Similarity search.

https://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/dev/java/api/chemaxon/sss/search/JChemSearchOptions.html#setMaxResultCount(int)

But similarity search is fast anyway - and just got faster in 5.4 as now it is multi-threaded as well.

Best,

Szilard