JChem Service Install Problem

User 77bcbbb206

18-09-2009 22:27:11

Hi,

I'm trying to install JChem 5.2.04 on a Windows Server 2003 64 bit machine and Oracle 10.2.0.1 64 bit.  The installation seems to be working well.  I can access jcman, etc but when it comes to starting the jchem service, I'm having problems.  The error I receive is this:

D:\ChemAxon\JChem\cartridge>net start "JChem Cartridge Service"
The JChem Cartridge Service service is starting.
The JChem Cartridge Service service could not be started.
A service specific error occurred: 0.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3547.

This error message is less than helpful.  Is there anywhere a more detailed log may be kept?  I've checked in the system event log and there's nothing more informative there.  Other than the fact that the license file isn't being recognized, everything looks ok.

Any idea?  Can I supply you with any other information?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

18-09-2009 23:47:26

Hi,

I suggest to check the content of the log files under <jchem_home>/cartidge/logs.

There should be some more informative error description.

Best regards,

Szilard

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

19-09-2009 05:51:09

Jim,

Please, upgrade to the recently released JChem version 5.2.5. It includes a fix for the JChem Cartridge service on 64-bit Windows.

Otherwise you can try the following work-around with 5.2.4:

1. Download
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_6_0_18/res/procrun/amd64/tomcat6.exe
    into the jchem/cartridge directory.

2. Rename the file prunsrv.exe to prunsrv.orig.exe in the same directory.

3. Rename the newly downloaded file tomcat6.exe to prunsrv.exe

4. Try to start the service again.

Peter

User 77bcbbb206

19-09-2009 19:45:27

Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I tried the 5.2.5 version with jre and got this error:

Do you want to install JChemServer as an operating system service? (y,n) [y]: y
INFO: Using classpath: D:\ChemAxon\JChem\lib\jchem.jar;
INFO: Server process stop-ed.
java.lang.RuntimeException:
        at chemaxon.util.RuntimeUtils.exec(RuntimeUtils.java:272)
        at chemaxon.util.RuntimeUtils.exec(RuntimeUtils.java:259)
        at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.install.WindowsServiceInstaller.execCommand(WindowsServiceInstaller.java:166)
        at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.install.WindowsServiceInstaller.installOrUpdateService(WindowsServiceInstaller.java:101)
        at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.install.WindowsServiceInstaller.installService(WindowsServiceInstaller.java:37)
        at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.install.InstallCmdLine.installJChemServerAsAService(InstallCmdLine.java:517)
        at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.install.InstallCmdLine.install(InstallCmdLine.java:91)
        at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.install.InstallCmdLine.main(InstallCmdLine.java:682)
D:\ChemAxon\JChem\cartridge>

I tried the 64 tomcat version (or at least I think that's the link you sent) and it worked like a charm.  I had to uninstall the service and re-install it with the newly renamed prunsrv file in place, but the service starts successfully and keeps running.

-Jim

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

20-09-2009 19:14:51

Jim,

I now retested JChem 5.2.5 on Windows 2008 64-bit. I cannot reproduce the problem:

C:\Users\pkovacs\Downloads\jchem_5_2_05\jchem\cartridge>.\install-interact.bat --jcserver-only
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not or not appropriately set.

C:\Users\pkovacs\Downloads\jchem_5_2_05\jchem\cartridge>set java_home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6

C:\Users\pkovacs\Downloads\jchem_5_2_05\jchem\cartridge>.\install-interact.bat --jcserver-only

Name of the Oracle host. [localhost]:

Oracle listener port [1521]:

Name of the Oracle instance [mydb]:

The host name of the JChem Server [localhost]:

The port at which the JChem Server accepts connections [1099]:

maximum memory allocated to JChem Server [700m]:
INFO: Checking JChem Server at localhost:1099...

====> Trying to start JChem Server...
INFO: Using classpath: C:\Users\pkovacs\Downloads\jchem_5_2_05\jchem\lib\jchem.jar;
INFO: Server process start-ed.
INFO: Directory licenses does not exist. Leaving it to LicenseHandler to check the default location for licenses.
INFO: Listening on network interface 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 at port 1099...

You have entered the following parameters:
==========================================

Name of the Oracle host.: localhost
Oracle listener port: 1521
Name of the Oracle instance: mydb
The host name of the JChem Server: localhost
The port at which the JChem Server accepts connections: 1099
maximum memory allocated to JChem Server: 700m

Proceed with the Install? (y,n) [n]: y

Do you want to install JChemServer as an operating system service? (y,n) [y]:

====> Service successfully created. Check the settings in the "Services" Microsoft Management Console
INFO: Using classpath: C:\Users\pkovacs\Downloads\jchem_5_2_05\jchem\lib\jchem.jar;
INFO: Server process stop-ed.

===============================
INSTALL SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
===============================

INFO: Connecting to localhost:1099
AdminImpl: shutdown called...
INFO: shutdown called
Exiting...
INFO:
Shutting down...
C:\Users\pkovacs\Downloads\jchem_5_2_05\jchem\cartridge>

The newly created Widnows service appears to also start and stop without problem.

Next time you happen to run into this problem, I suggest to add the following line to the jchem\cartridge\conf\logging.properties file:

chemaxon.level = FINEST

and repeat the operation. This will generate some more logs which may shed light on the problem.

Thanks

Peter