JChem cartridge freezes

User 8ef5099b33

18-07-2009 16:31:23

Hi,

I have an intermittent issue with the JChem cartridge apparently freezing up. In our app, we are doing a number of jc_compare(xxx) searches and most of the time everything works great. However, there are occasions where previously successful structure searches fail to return a hit. If I come back to it a few hours later - the structure searches will work again.  I am struggling to trouble shoot the issue.

Just before each search - I place the folllowing call:

call jchem.jchem_core_pkg.use_password('password_string_here');

It is very troubling because it is an intermittent issue. What are some simple checks that I can do in my app to verify that the cartridge is working. I want to set up a trap to track down the problem.

Thanks,

Guy

Here are my current config:

Oracle environment: 

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi

PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

CORE 10.2.0.3.0 Production

TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

JChem Server environment: 

Java VM vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

Java version: 1.6.0_06

Java VM version: 10.0-b22

JChem version: 5.2.0

JChem Index version: 5020005

JDBC driver version: 11.1.0.7.0-Production

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

20-07-2009 13:07:25

Hi Guy,

Which of the following statements describes the problem appropriately:

1. Searches return an empty result set when hits are expected.

2. Searches don't return (block) whereas identical previous searches returned results as expected.

?

As you mentionned "freezing" in your description, I assume that statement #2 is the appropriate. When the problem occurs, did you cancel the apparently blocking query? Or did you leave it blocking and saw it return the expected hits a couple of hours later?

Thanks

Peter

User 8ef5099b33

29-07-2009 07:10:14

Hi Peter,  

I believe that I traced the issue to very large clobs passed to jc_compare to find existing compounds in the database. Some structures just seem to hang the system. I will try to post the exact ora error.

Regards,

Guy

pkovacs wrote:

Hi Guy,

Which of the following statements describes the problem appropriately:

1. Searches return an empty result set when hits are expected.

2. Searches don't return (block) whereas identical previous searches returned results as expected.

?

As you mentionned "freezing" in your description, I assume that statement #2 is the appropriate. When the problem occurs, did you cancel the apparently blocking query? Or did you leave it blocking and saw it return the expected hits a couple of hours later?

Thanks

Peter

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

29-07-2009 10:54:44

Hi Guy,

Thank you for the update. Would it be possible to send me (pkovacs at chemaxon dot com) the problematic structure(s) so we could try and reproduce the problem?

Thanks

Peter