Size of jchem.jar

User f5e6ccf034

05-10-2008 23:08:54

At 14M it is trending towards the monumental end of the spectrum. Perhaps it is time to split it and have separate jar files for each product?

Regards,

-- O.L.

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

06-10-2008 05:11:39

Hi,

We are already thinking of solutions like that (especially for substructure search and hit alignment in the short run), however that can also have drawbacks, e.g. users might mix incompatible versions of smaller jars easier.

Could you tell us what kind of practical problems are you having and what functionality would you like to use in a smaller package ?

Best regards,

Szilard

User f5e6ccf034

07-10-2008 23:20:48

We don't really have a technical problem with the huge jar: the JVM will only load the classes it needs, so the only harm done by stuffing the jars with irrelevant material is slightly worse performance for Class.forName. Nevertheless it is bad form in my opinion to ship megabytes of irrelevant material. Once you go down that road why not, say, ship the entire SourceForge repository because you need one jar from one project: where does it stop? If every third-party provider (commercial or open-source) that you get a jar from does that, soon you are offering your own clients a 100M download and if someone asks you what it's all for, you don't want to have to reply "Oh, some stuff...".

You have several well-defined products listed on your web site. A separate jar for each + perhaps a jar with the common utilities would make sense.

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

10-10-2008 23:00:30

Hi,

Glad to hear this is not a serious problem for you.

As I have mentioned, we are already considering and working on smaller jar files for future releases, though I cannot give a definite deadline for this.

Best regards,

Szilard