SMARTS match bug

User 036058eabf

17-03-2008 19:48:27

Hi,

I think I've found a bug in pattern matching using SMARTS.

With certain molecules, the pattern "[A;R0]" matches atoms that are in a ring.

This is an example molecule that generates the error:

[H]N1C(=O)C(=C([H])c2c([H])c(Cl)c([H])c([H])c12)N1C(=O)c2c([H])c([H])c([H])c([H])c2C1=O

(This SMILES code is generated thru a Molecule.toFormat("smiles") call)

I used this pattern:

[A,a][A;R0]

It should match all couples of atoms in which one atom is not in a ring; however, it matches couples with both atoms in rings.

The Daylight SMARTS matching tool ( http://www.daylight.com/daycgi_tutorials/depictmatch.cgi ) gives different results: there is only one match, C-Cl, which is missed in JChem searching.

Using the pattern "[A,a][A;!R]" is a possible workaround. Both patterns give the same matches using the Daylight tool.

I've attached an image with highlighted, in blue, the matches and a short program to generate that image.

Thank you!

Simone

ChemAxon a9ded07333

18-03-2008 15:49:32

Hi Simone,

Thanks for the report, I will analyse your example and get back to you soon.

Tamas

User 036058eabf

19-03-2008 16:13:07

Another one:

if as target molecule you use "CCC" and as query "[CH3]" or "[CH2]", it does not match anything. However, if you change the query to "[C;H3]" or "[C;H2]" it works.

You can try this with the same Java file I attached before, changing the molecule to "CCC" and the query to one of these.

Am I just using logical operators in a wrong way?

Thank you

Simone

ChemAxon a9ded07333

19-03-2008 17:04:30

Quote:
Am I just using logical operators in a wrong way?
No, you use correctly these SMARTS expressions.

Your additional example confirms my suspicion that hydrogen handling may be the cause of the problem.

E.g. if you remove explicit H-s from your first target molecule you get correct result: try to search "[A,a][A;R0]" against "N1C(=O)C(=Cc2cc(Cl)ccc12)N1C(=O)c2ccccc2C1=O" .

Tamas

ChemAxon a9ded07333

20-03-2008 12:46:48

This bug occurred due to an inconsistency in index-handling of hydrogens.

The bugfix will be available in JChem 5.0.2.1, planned to release by tomorrow.

Tamas

ChemAxon a9ded07333

20-03-2008 14:10:04

Regarding the second bug: it seems to have the same origin but it is caused by another phenomenon.

In your code

Code:
Molecule query = MolImporter.importMol("[CH3]");

is used to import the query molecule.

[CH3] and [C;H3] have the same meaning when you look them as SMARTS expressions, but MolImporter.importMol(String) tries to recognise the string in the simplest format, and since [CH3] can be interpreted as a SMILES expression, that will be SMILES.

During SMILES import hydrogens are removed so we lose information on hydrogen count.

I recommend using MolImporter.importMol(String, String, String) instead, whenever you know the exact format of your import string:

Code:
Molecule query = MolImporter.importMol("[CH3]", "smarts", null);

Tamas

ChemAxon a9ded07333

21-03-2008 12:50:04

JChem Base 5.0.2.1 has been released yesterday and is downloadable from our download page.

Also, I would like to refine my previous statment about removed hydrogens: during SMILES import the hydrogens are not really removed but become implicit and the search process doesn't use implicit H-count.

Tamas