JCHEM Manager Connection

User 963791cca3

21-02-2008 21:36:26

(I am re-posting this on my colleague Lu's behalf)

Hi,

We are trying to install and configure JChem on linux server or linux/windows PC combination. The installation part is finished. But trying to start JChemManager on linux gives us two blank windows. Any idea what could be wrong?

For the other option of running Oracle database on linux but install JChem on Windows work station, we also ran into some problem while trying to start JChemManager because of incorrect JDBC driver specification.

Can someone please post a sample connection string list for JChem Manager on windows PC with Oracle database on linux server using jdbc driver (oracle11g or 9i client on windows PC)?

JDBC driver: ?????

URL of database:??????

Property table: JChemProperties

Login name:

Password:

Your help is much appreciated.

ChemAxon e274e1bada

22-02-2008 00:46:51

Vida,

could you describe me the software environment where you installed JChem (Linux distribution, X interface, Java version, ...), and your JChem version?

Did you try to run JChem Manager on linux with own X interface, or on a Windows client machine with an X server?

You can find the answer for your second question here: http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/FAQ.html#dburl

You should use oracle thin driver.

Regards,

Edvard

User 518e6889ea

22-02-2008 20:55:40

I was installing JChem package on linux server (redhat- 64bit), which as an oracle11g database running. using eXceed and SSH on windows as X window and access tool. The GUI interface for installation started Ok. But the JChemManager interface was very slow to start and showed up as blank window (command: jcman).

The other configuration I was trying to install/configure was installing Jchem on windows PC but using the Oracle database on linux server. For this configuration, JChemManager openned fine, but really don't know how to put in the connection strings to make connection to database. On the windows PC, there is Oracle9i server installation, tnsnames.ora file was configured Ok to connect to the database.

Any information on both of these two issues would be much appreciated.

ChemAxon e274e1bada

26-02-2008 10:24:17

Hi Lu,

We have successfully reproduced the described JChem problem with X. You should try to run ssh with -Y option.

Please post if you have any further problem with X and JChem.

The answer for your second question is in my previous post. You have to use oracle thin driver: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver and URL must be: jdbc:oracle:thin:@<host address>:<port>:<database sid>

You don't need the tnsnames.ora to connect with database from JChem.

You can find more information about JChem Manager here: http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/admin/index.html

Edvard

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

26-02-2008 16:14:18

Lu,

Please don't forget to include the JDBC driver in the CLASSPATH environment variable as described here:

http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/admin/prepscripts.html

Please also report any error messages (the full text) you get if there's no success.

Best regards,

Szilard

User 518e6889ea

26-02-2008 16:44:48

Hi Edvard and Szilard,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I tried out the '-Y' option linux for starting out the JChem server (server.sh), I got the prompt back but still has error messages as posted below:

# bash ./server.sh -Y

+ /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/bin/java -server -Xmx700m -Djava.util.logging.config.class=chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.util.LoggingConfigurator -Dchemaxon.jchem.cartridge.config.file=conf/jcart.properties -Djava.awt.headless=true -classpath ./../lib/jchem.jar:/ora11g/app/oracle/OracleHomes/db11g/sqldeveloper/jdbc/lib/ojdbc14.jar: chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.rmi.impl.AdminImpl -Y

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.rmi.client.RmiDirectory.locate(RmiDirectory.java:65)

at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.rmi.impl.AdminImpl.getAdminServer(AdminImpl.java:278)

at chemaxon.jchem.cartridge.rmi.impl.AdminImpl.main(AdminImpl.java:324)

+ set +x

For the JChem Manager on Linux, I still could not get it started.

For the JChem Manager on windows install, I put in the JDBC driver on the classpath (through control panel->system->....), I used the Oracle9i JDBC, (C:\oracle\ora92\jdbc\lib;). However, it still complains about could not find class path, error message: "An error occured java.lang.ClassNotFoundException oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

I'll try to download an Oracle thin driver next and try again.

Any tips on these issues would be much appreciated. Thanks,

-Lu

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

28-02-2008 09:38:10

Lu,

server.sh doesn't have a -Y switch. ssh has a -Y switch (At least OpenSSH has it.) The suggestion was to connect to your server using the -Y switch of ssh:
Quote:
You should try to run ssh with -Y option.
Thanks

Peter

User 518e6889ea

03-03-2008 19:45:48

Thanks for the clarification and help. After down loading the proper Oracle think JDBC driver, I now got the JChem Manager on windows working. Guess the previous problem with JChem on windows was the wrong JDBC driver.

-Lu