general question regarding XML/CML and the cartridge

ChemAxon 60ee1f1328

03-01-2008 16:00:18

Hello + happy new year to all ChemAxon-ers.

I am (finally) interested to understand how XML/CML fits into the JCHEM base / cartridge architecture.

I can see that Marvin can produce CML not disimilar looking to SDF but adherent I presume to the XML standard - also I assume further XML tags could be tied into a given CML record using some Java or Oracle XML api...so I have my Chemical XML file which I could place in Oracle XML db type schema - how do JCHEM tables fit into this? Could I add my CML/XML using jc_insertb? Does JCHEM rely upon XML DB XmlType at all?

Thank you,

Daniel.

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

03-01-2008 17:56:44

Hi Daniel,

Happy New Year to you too!

The XML based formats supported by Marvin/JChem (MRV/CML) are handled in JChem and JChem Cartridge in a fashion very similar to the other formats (SMILES, Molfile, etc.). The kind of the format is (for all practical purposes) transparent to the database machinery of JChem and JChem Cartridge. The handling of these formats doesn't rely in any way on features of the underlying database (Oracle in the case of JChem Cartridge) designed to support XML-content.

Yes, you can use jc_insert(b) to insert CML (or MRV) files as well.

For a full list of the supported formats as well as their descriptions, please see http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/doc/dev/formats.html.

Cheers,

Peter

ChemAxon 60ee1f1328

03-01-2008 18:12:48

Thanks Peter - that's cool