23-07-2007 15:25:00

From Dr. Don Parkin

Hi,

1. I think I have set everything up for Jchem and the cartridge with Oracle 9i

(9.2.0.10) and Tomcat 6.0 as I can start JChemManager and create a

table and even import an sdf file.

However, when I try and 'Configure Jchem Cartridge for Oracle…' using

localhost/jchemstreams/ and fill in the connection properties the same as

for jcman then I get an error message when I 'test the connection'.

Connection failed:

java.sql.SQLException: invalid arguments in call at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java) at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java) at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.logon(TTC7Protocol.java) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.(OracleConnection.java) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.java) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582) at…... etc

I'm using:

Driver oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:mydb

2. When I try the examples, I can search a simple_db search database that I have

set up but it only displays the number of hits and pages - no structures.

The source code at the end says:

<p>SQL error

<p>SQLState: 42000<br>

<br>

Vendor: 936<br>

This error message is not displayed.

For the db_search example, the initsearch page displays the error message:

SQL error

SQLState: null

Message: Cannot handle type in field "cd_structure": oracle.sql.BLOB

Vendor: 0

What am I doing wrong?

ChemAxon e274e1bada

23-07-2007 15:36:35

Donald,

regarding 2. question:

could you send me your JChem version number, and your Oracle driver name?

Edvard

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

23-07-2007 19:40:21

Regarding the first question:

The "test connection" step is not strictly necessary. The problem you are experiencing is probably due to a difficult-to-reproduce bug in the code of the WEB-based Administration GUI. Just save your JDBC settings and go on to perform the remaining steps of the installation.

P.

User 4c0abb5ef9

24-07-2007 09:13:56

I am using Jchem version 3.2.7 and in my classpath I have C:\oracle9i\jdbc\lib\ojdbc14.jar;C:\oracle9i\jdbc\lib\classes12.jar

The test script works OK. i.e.

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Jul 24 09:24:00 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, Oracle Label Security, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options

JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

JCHEM_CORE_PKG.GETENVIRONMENT()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

CORE 9.2.0.1.0 Production

TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

JChem version in the database: 3.2.7

JChem version in the Tomcat server: 3.2.7

java.vm.version: 1.6.0_02-b06

java.vm.vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.10

JCHEM_CORE_PKG.GETENVIRONMENT()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major JDBC version in Tomcat: 1

Minor JDBC version in Tomcat: 0

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

24-07-2007 10:55:24

Quote:
I am using Jchem version 3.2.7 and in my classpath I have C:\oracle9i\jdbc\lib\ojdbc14.jar;C:\oracle9i\jdbc\lib\classes12.jar
The classpath is irrelevant. The relevant jar files are those in $CATALINA_HOME/lib. Please, could you list the files found in that directory? (Only the ojdbc14.jar is required, classes12.jar shouldn't be there.)
Quote:
The test script works OK.
Great! Then you can try and execute the following in sqlplus:

Code:
select jchem_core_pkg.set_password(<current-user's-password>) from dual;

If it returns 0, jchemstreams can connect back to Oracle and you can start using JChem Cartridge.

Ooops, I see that you have Oracle 9.2.0.1.0. This Oracle version is very old and buggy. I strongly recommend to download and apply the latest Oracle 9i patch set. (But upgrade at least to patchlevel 9.2.0.6.)

Thanks

P.

User 4c0abb5ef9

25-07-2007 12:13:48

The select jchem_core_pkg.set_password(<current-user's-password>) from dual; statement returns 0.

My Tomcat 6.0/lib directory contains all the files that were in the JChem/lib directory.

The documentation says that they should be copied into the shared/lib directory but there is only the Tomcat 6.0/lib directory.

I still can't see any hits from the simple_db_search and the db_search at

http://localhost/jchem/examples/db_search/initsearch.jsp?uid=8006208535548219392

gives the error message:

SQL error

SQLState: null

Message: Cannot handle type in field "cd_structure": oracle.sql.BLOB

Vendor: 0

I am looking into the upgrade of oracle but it seems I need to register with metalink for which I need a Support Identifier!

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

25-07-2007 14:07:40

Quote:
I am looking into the upgrade of oracle but it seems I need to register with metalink for which I need a Support Identifier!
If you can't afford buying support from Oracle, I see two possibilities: (a) evaluate JChem Cartridge with Oracle 10g (the 10g version freely download-able from Oracle work quite well with JChem Cartridge) (b) evaluate JChem Base alone to have freedom in your choice of the database. JChem Base supports among others MS SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL as well. (PostgreSQL is a free database, while MySQL also has a free edition.)