Updating viewer and related applets only in JChem ....

User e25fe1ac40

15-05-2007 14:35:24

I was wondering if you have a procedure for updating the marvin viewer applets only in JChem? I am running JChem 3.0.9 (on Linux 2.4), Java 1.5 and, currently, Marvin 3.5.8 ... I would like to upgrade the viewer to 4.1.7 to correct some display problems with the older viewers .....

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

15-05-2007 14:53:49

Hi,

The applets are independent of what's running on the back end.

You have to replace the marvin directory that contains the applet files.

In the jchem package it's located under jchem\marvin.

Download marvin-all-4_1_7.zip (or tar.gz) from this page:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/do-download-marvinapplets.html

Then extract the package in place of the old marvin directory.

Best regards,

Szilard

User e25fe1ac40

15-05-2007 15:31:26

Hi -

I did this but it seems to have created some problems in that I could not "modify" or "insert" using the JChem distributed example scripts ... but I did also replace MarvinBeans.jar with a new version in /jchem/lib because I wanted to fix the structure of CoA in the abbreviated groups (posted in another forum) ... display functions were OK and the modify and insert "pop-up" editors worked until you clicked on the "update" and "insert" buttons .... then nothing happened ...

Also, we use the function mol.toBinFormat(format) in some of our customized scripts (to generate images of our structures "on the fly") and these scripts would only display "old" structures created with the "old" Marvin and none of the new structures created with the newer version .....Thanks, Manton

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

15-05-2007 16:43:41

Quote:
but I did also replace MarvinBeans.jar with a new version in /jchem/lib
There is no MarvinBeans.jar in the lib directory of the JChem package, since jchem.jar contains all the classes of MarvinBeans.jar.

Please never copy both MarvinBeans.jar and jchem.jar simultaneously in the lib directory of you JSP web application.

Similarly do not put both of these files in the classpath of any Java application.

This can lead to version conflicts and a wide range of unexpected problems.
Quote:
display functions were OK and the modify and insert "pop-up" editors worked until you clicked on the "update" and "insert" buttons .... then nothing happened ...
After changing the Marvin applet it is recommended to clear the JRE cache (especially if experiencing problems).

Please read this post for further details:

http://www.chemaxon.com/forum/ftopic556.html

I also advise to check if there are any JavaScript errors emerging in your browser (e.g. in Firefox Tools -> Error console)

Please also look for errors in the Java Console (on Windows it can be opened from a tray icon).
Quote:
Also, we use the function mol.toBinFormat(format) in some of our customized scripts (to generate images of our structures "on the fly") and these scripts would only display "old" structures created with the "old" Marvin and none of the new structures created with the newer version
As the JSP pages run on the server side, the generated output is determined bu the JChem version (no the version of the applet).

Please consider upgrading to the latest JChem version.

There have been numerous improvements and fixes since version 3.0.9.

We can also provide better support for current versions.

For the list of changes please see:

http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/changes.html

Best regards,

Szilard