Setup Instructions for examples

User 17ae043cc4

20-01-2007 02:51:18

Thanks so much for the terrific examples. They are very useful for leveraging your tools. The one problem I have run into seems to be properly managing the marvin references.

When I try to use jsp1_x, I get an error indicating that mview_begin is not defined. When I check the source code I see that marvin is reference at two

different levels.

One level is

../../marvin/marvin.js (e.g., edit.jsp)

the other is

../marvin/marvin.js (e.g., searchresults.jsp)

It is not clear to me if I'm suppose to install marvin in two different places.

Do you think you could help clarify?

Also do I need to copy the marvin directory along with the example or is it suppose to be referenced properly with the copying of the jar files that are indicated in the instructions.

Again, thanks for such a great product.

Darcy

P.S. Minor aside there is a typo in the instructions. The second sentence in the 1 set.

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

22-01-2007 09:45:55

Hi,

Thank you for your admiring comments, we are glad you find our tools useful.
Quote:
One level is

../../marvin/marvin.js (e.g., edit.jsp)

the other is

../marvin/marvin.js (e.g., searchresults.jsp)

It is not clear to me if I'm suppose to install marvin in two different places.
I have checked, searchresults.jsp refers (and has always referred) to ../../marvin/marvin.js.

(maybe the file has been changed since you have unpacked the package)

Of course there is no need to install Marvin Applets at multiple locations.

(unless one deliberately wants to use different Marvin versions for different parts for some reason)
Quote:
Also do I need to copy the marvin directory along with the example or is it suppose to be referenced properly with the copying of the jar files that are indicated in the instructions.
The mentioned copying of the jar files affects the server site engine (Tomcat), while the Marvin Applet files should be accessible from the client via HTTP.

So in short: yes, you should also copy the marvin directory, and probably some other files (e.g. images) too.

Probably the simplest practice is to simply unpack the jchem package to an arbitrary place on your file system, and create a web context in Tomcat that points to this directory.

(So there's no need to copy anything, everything is in place.)

Some additional information:

The marvin directory in JChem is always a certain a marvin applet package unpacked (e.g. "marvin-all-4_1_5.zip"), which is also separately available in the Marvin download section.

(so the applets can be independently upgraded if needed for some reason)

Best regards,

Szilard