invoking jchem manager

User ddf03b522f

11-11-2006 11:37:08

can jchem manager be invoked from a web page? If so what is the syntax to invoke this from a web page?

I am interested in the import export function via a web page. I note you have a jsp example script to achieve this. But the asp example does not include the above import export example.

Is there an asp example available with the above functionality?

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

14-11-2006 16:22:17

Quote:
can jchem manager be invoked from a web page?
No, it cannot.
Quote:

Is there an asp example available with the above functionality?
Unfortunately we do not have such an example.

I suggest exploring the possibilities to upload the file to a temporary location on the server, and then initiate the import on the server side.

(in the simplest case you may probably execute jcman command line from IIS (?) though I'm, not an IIS expert)

An even simpler solution is to run only the import / export pages as JSP.

I know it's not very nice, but it's almost zero work.

Since Java and JSP are very easy technologies to learn, some clients chose to go this way to get the most out of out software - although I agree this may not be suitable for everyone.

Best regards,

Szilard

User ddf03b522f

15-11-2006 13:34:09

Just a suggestion. Would it not be even easier if jchem manager could be implemented as an applet! This would provide for rapid web design and deployment without having to learn other scripting languages whilst providing all the functionality of the standalone version?

Would you have any intention to implement such an idea?

Ragards

Ozzii

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

17-11-2006 09:41:02

Hi,

In theory a signed applet can do almost anything as an application, however

the JDBC driver and the connection to the database complicates things in this case.

It is not very nice to perform the computations on the client machine either.

The healthy solution would be an other tier:

The applet would connect to a "JChem Server", and not directly to the database.

We are planning to introduce such a concept in the future.

By the way:

It is not a web application, but Instant JChem is very easy to set up and can also connect to a central database:

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/

It requires a license to connect to an external database (it also comes with an embedded database).

Will will also introduce this additional layer (server) in the case of Instant JChem.

Best regards,

Szilard