Regeneration at upgrade

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

20-06-2006 09:39:01

We at ChemAxon are turning attention at the possible inconvenience of table regeneration at JChem version upgrade.

We are interested in

- how big a problem this represents for your company

- how are you dealing with the issue at the present (e.g. performing the upgrade at weekends, creating copies of tables, etc.)

(we also appreciate comments in e-mail if you feel your practices are confidential)

Szilard

User 818520b6b8

20-06-2006 10:05:31

Hi,

we recently performed an upgrade from 3.0.9 to 3.1.5. The inconvinients we found were:

- Need to "stop" production system for some hours.

- Need to create copies of tables and related structures for different versions of Jchem, and afterwards rename them.

- Depending on how the Oracle database is configured or tunned, this upgrade can take from minutes to hours, or even days.

- Need to know Oracle in-depth.

- JCMan is not really user-friendly (I know this is fixed in newer versions)

If you need further details, please contact me.

Thanks.

ChemAxon 9c0afc9aaf

26-06-2006 17:11:18

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

(other feedbacks are still welcome from others).
Quote:

- Need to create copies of tables and related structures for different versions of Jchem, and afterwards rename them.

- Depending on how the Oracle database is configured or tunned, this upgrade can take from minutes to hours, or even days.

- Need to know Oracle in-depth.
I suppose the latter two are mostly related to creating copies of tables.

Did you copy the tables for "extra safety", or rather to reduce downtime ?

We are thinking of ways to speed up transition by allowing precalculation of new data while the old system is still running (e.g. storing them in a LOB column). At the actual regeneration most of the data would already be there, only rows that were inserted / modified after precalculation should be computed at the actual transition.

This could significantly reduce downtime of a normal regeneration (when you do not copy tables), though would not eliminate it entirely.

How does it sound ?

Would it help your situation ?
Quote:
- JCMan is not really user-friendly (I know this is fixed in newer versions)

Could you be more specific about this ?

What were the major problems with user-friendliness ?

Best regards,

Szilard