index performance whilst continious normal inserts

ChemAxon 60ee1f1328

06-04-2006 11:03:27

I'm just wondering about placing an index on a non jchem table that is

continually receiving 'normal' insert statements. It is unlikely to be

queried very often, however, but I'm concerned that if it is under

continious insert pressure this may effect the response time for the query

fairly seriously? Would such a scenario cause a hang do you envisage or

just a bit slower than normal (which would be fine)?

Also is there any additional penalty for running a 'normal' insert with

a jc_idx type placed upon one of the columns in the insert?

Thank you,

Daniel.

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

06-04-2006 12:05:10

Quote:
I'm just wondering about placing an index on a non jchem table that is continually receiving 'normal' insert statements. It is unlikely to be queried very often, however, but I'm concerned that if it is under continious insert pressure this may effect the response time for the query fairly seriously? Would such a scenario cause a hang do you envisage or just a bit slower than normal (which would be fine)?
At the beginning of each structure search, the structure cache will be updated with the newly inserted structures.

This is basically the time it takes for the fingerprints of the new structures to be fetched via JDBC from Oracle into Tomcat. I expect this to be the most significant factor affecting search performance. The magnitued of its impact depends on the number of structures inserted since the last search.
Quote:
Also is there any additional penalty for running a 'normal' insert with a jc_idx type placed upon one of the columns in the insert?
I am not sure I understand what you mean here by "additional". If you mean "compared to a table without jc_idxtype index on its structure column" then yes, the jc_idxtype index has significant negative impact on the speed of INSERTs.

Peter