query regarding structure standardizer and structure checker

User 23ba1704ca

06-11-2013 09:52:30

Hello

We are using structure checker and structure standardizer API along with JChemBase to handle structures and structure search.

I wanted to have a clarification about the role played by structure standardizer and structure checker.

I have attached the two .mol (A.mol and B.mol) files. Both the mol files have the same structure but the orientation is different. When these structure are passed through the API's, will they be treated as different structures or the same structure?

Thanks

Ashish Dugar

ChemAxon 4a2fc68cd1

06-11-2013 11:36:22

Hi Ashish,

The two attached structures will be treated as equivalent molecules by JChem search regardless of the orientation. You need not apply structure checker or standardizer to achieve the equality of these structures.

Best regards,

Peter

User 23ba1704ca

06-11-2013 12:31:33

Hello Peter

I understand the point you are trying to make here. However, in the case that I have presented in this topic, what actually happens in, the SMILE string for both these structures are different.
To identify, whether the molecular are similar or not, we are carrying out a SMILE string comparison. This comparison will always result  in treating both these structures as different, whereas, they are the same.

I hope you are getting the point I am trying to make here.

Thanks
Ashish 

ChemAxon 4a2fc68cd1

06-11-2013 13:59:30

Hi Ashish,

If you would like to use SMILES string comparison to compare molecular structures, then you should use unique/canonical SMILES representation, i.e. use "smiles:u" as export format. For more information, see:
http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/formats/smiles-doc.html

Anyway, a more sophisticated way of comapring two structures is by means of duplicate search:
http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/user/query_searchtypes.html#otherSearchTypes

Peter

User 23ba1704ca

07-11-2013 02:59:15

Thanks Peter

Will re-configure the search and let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Ashish