User Experience - Minimize/Maximize Marvin Bean window

User c1ce6b3d19

28-11-2012 23:44:56

The Marvin window (JFrame?) that appears when you double click on a structure field on a form is resizable, but lacks the minimize and maximize icons at the top right of the window.  When you open Marvin Sketch normally, these will appear.

Why is that?  Is there a way to make these appear?  

Jon

ChemAxon e189db4705

29-11-2012 01:44:37

Hi Jon,

this is a limitation of Window vs dialog. Dialog can't have maximize button unfortunately. And Window can't be modal so it can cause many problems if editor is open and user starts another edit, etc.

Anyway we were thinking about this in the past and the current solution is that default size of sketch dialog depends on size of IJC window. And the size is different for different types of jchem tables (molecules vs. reactions).

Except (hopefully reasonable) default size you can resize the dialog and last size + position should be remembered. And again this is remembered different for reactions + markush and for normal molecules.

Regards,

Petr

User c1ce6b3d19

11-12-2012 19:04:17

Petr,

The last position and size of the Marvin window is only saved during the session, not between restarts of the applications.  So the user still has to resize frequently.  

We are using an "any" table for multistep reactions since a reaction table doesn't handle multistep reactions, but I think this is opening the same size as molecule.  When I tried using a reaction table, it did open wider by default, but it didn't save the position and size.  

Jon

ChemAxon e189db4705

12-12-2012 11:32:23

Hi Jon,

The last position and size of the Marvin window is only saved during the session, not between restarts of the applications.  So the user still has to resize frequently.  

yes, that's how it works now. We'll look at it and make it persistant. 

We are using an "any" table for multistep reactions since a reaction table doesn't handle multistep reactions, but I think this is opening the same size as molecule.  When I tried using a reaction table, it did open wider by default, but it didn't save the position and size.  

Currently we use three position+size configurations:

1. For Markush molecules

2. For Reactions

3. And the third is shared for Molecules, Query and Any table types.

It looks that you'd need configuration for Any type separeted. This can be done, it should be pretty easy. On the other hand it can be counter productive in some cases if we really do 5 categories. If you use all of these and you don't like default position+size you will need to resize it five times. We'll think about it.

Thanks for feedback.

Petr

User ec77fb5b57

08-01-2015 09:34:07

Hi:

Are there any encouraging news regarding saved size of the Sketch window. Marvin still opens in rather small window and has to be resized every time used (MarvinBeans 15.1.5.0).

Regrads,

Bojan

ChemAxon 26d92e5dcd

08-01-2015 09:56:16

Dear Bojan,

I am afraid that we have not yet improved this. I will update this thread, when we improve this

Wishing all the best

David