Organization of lists

User e05b1833aa

07-12-2011 15:59:45

Hi,

When working with a corporate database, I usually end up with a lot of lists that belong to different research projects. It would be great if there was some way of organizing these, for example by being able to create folders under the Permanent Lists nodes. List belonging to the same project could then be collected in a specfic folder.

Cheers!

ChemAxon e189db4705

07-12-2011 17:19:54

Hi Evert,

thank you for comment. Yes, this is planned. Actually the most requested were folders for fields, but for lists it looks the second most important place.

What would be better for you - to have projects as top level folders and each project having folders per field OR fields lists folders top level (current version) and then under each field list categories for projects?

Petr

User e05b1833aa

07-12-2011 19:10:47

Hi,

For Lists (and Queries) I think it would make most sense to have the Project folders under the Lists and Queries as opposed to the other way around.

It's unclear to me though why one would want to collect fields in folders. Can you elaborate?

ChemAxon e189db4705

07-12-2011 21:40:59

Since we support permanent lists for non-id field, so these lists are already organized in folders. One folder per field. See screenshot. So that's what I meant that lists are already in folders. My question was what clustering should be top level and what the second level. We will need to think more about it. I guess there exists usecases where one or other approach is more suitable.

User e05b1833aa

09-12-2011 13:08:39

OK, now I understand what you meant. Actually I think it would be better to have one folder only for Permanent List, where one could have separate lists composed of different fields (rather than having separte folders for list of different field types). In this way the top clustering level could be project folders. The list editor should then have a drop-down menu for defining the field type of the list entries (as in the Convert List...window).