Creating/editing relationships

User 9aa4619393

16-08-2011 14:10:29

Hi,

when I have created a relationship between two tables, is it possible to edit it, for example if I have made a mistake in assigning the fields I want to join, or if I want to change from 1:many to 1:1? It seems to be read-only...

By the way, what difference does it make for IJC if a relationship is 1:1 or 1:many, in terms of what I can do with the tables?

Also, if I have many tables in my schema and I want to create a relationship it takes at least 15 minutes before IJC has gathered all the information on the columns that it needs. Does it go and retrieve metadata for ALL tables in the schema? If so, why not change it to retrieve it only for the tables I have promoted as entities?After all, these are the only tables I can use to create relationships ...

Thanks

Anna

ChemAxon fa971619eb

16-08-2011 17:37:31

when I have created a relationship between two 
tables, is it possible to edit it, for example if I have made a mistake
in assigning the fields I want to join, or if I want to change from
1:many to 1:1? It seems to be read-only...

Yes, that's right. Currently you cannot edit them once created. You need to delete and add it back.

By the way, what difference does it make for IJC if a relationship is 1:1 or 1:many, in terms of what I can do with the tables?

It impacts things like whether you are able to insert additional rows, and what sort of widget is suitable (one for a single row or one that handles multiple rows etc.

Also, if I have many tables in my schema and I 
want to create a relationship it takes at least 15 minutes before IJC
has gathered all the information on the columns that it needs. Does it
go and retrieve metadata for ALL tables in the schema? If so, why not
change it to retrieve it only for the tables I have promoted as
entities?After all, these are the only tables I can use to create
relationships ...

Yes, there are cases when this is very slow. We are looking at optimising this, and hope to improve the situation.

Tim