Shared Projects on Networked drive

User 7a95efc811

14-01-2010 18:55:36

I am using instant JChem 3.0.4 on a mac using OS X 10.6.2.  I am trying to set up a shared project on a network drive that we have to ssh into.  I saw people trying to set up a shared project in another post but I need explicit instructions.  I have limited programing experience.  Perhaps someone has a recommendation.  Here is what we need:

A colleague and I are trying to analyze data from several chemical screens.  We would like to break the work up and store the information in one place so that we can both access it.  We have an academic license.  We do not have access to a web server.

Any reccomendations?

Thank you!

ChemAxon fa971619eb

15-01-2010 08:37:14

Sharing data with a local database is not possible.

Firstly, the database used prevents simulatneous access, and secondly the terms of the personal license preclue sharing of data amongst multiple users (but as you have an academic license you would be able to obtian an enterprise license that does allow sharing).

The easiest way to share data is to use a MySQL or Oracle database on your network. With that multiple users  can connect to the database at the same time. You do not need to use a shared project to do this. Shared projects can be useful where you have a large number of users, but for only 2 there is little real benefit.

One thing you can do with a local database is send your colleague a copy of the database, but you will not see any changes they make and vice-versa. To do this you can just zip up the project directory and send it to your colleage. They will unzip it and then open it in IJC.

Here are some links about setting up databases and projects that might be useful:

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/user/help/htmlfiles/connections/about_schemas.html

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/user/help/htmlfiles/projects/shared_projects.html

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/admin/project_deploy.html

Tim

User 7a95efc811

21-01-2010 21:28:32

I am trying to create an oracle or mysql database on my computer and then copy that database into the correct location.  However, I get an error message when I do that.  How do you create a mysql or oracle database on your computer?

ChemAxon fa971619eb

23-01-2010 18:08:35

I'm not sure what you are referring to here.

Are you asking how to create a MySQL or Oracle database on your computer, or server, or how to connect to this database once it is set up?

And its not clear what you mean by: "and then copy that database into the correct location".

Could you describe in more detail what you are trying to do and what errors you see.

Thanks

Tim

User 7a95efc811

27-01-2010 19:16:32

I am trying to create a database on my computer (oracle or mysql).  Don't worry about the location.  I just need it on my computer.

I go to create schema -> mysql -> then I put in file:/Users/Andy/Desktop (location I want the database).  When I do that, I get the error copied below.  I am sure that I am not entering the file location correctly but I cannot figure out what to do.

com.im.commons.db.InitializationException: Unsupported database type

at com.im.commons.db.AbstractDatabasePlatform.create(AbstractDatabasePlatform.java:212)

at com.im.ijc.core.wizards.schema.ConnectDatabaseStep.validate(ConnectDatabaseStep.java:125)

at org.openide.WizardDescriptor$7.run(WizardDescriptor.java:1405)

at org.openide.WizardDescriptor.lazyValidate(WizardDescriptor.java:1453)

at org.openide.WizardDescriptor.access$1300(WizardDescriptor.java:127)

at org.openide.WizardDescriptor$Listener.actionPerformed(WizardDescriptor.java:2024)

Caused: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor237.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.openide.util.WeakListenerImpl$ProxyListener.invoke(WeakListenerImpl.java:451)

Caused: java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException

at $Proxy8.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2028)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2351)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:236)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6348)

at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3255)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6113)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2085)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4714)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2143)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4544)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4618)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4282)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4212)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2129)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2475)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4544)

[catch] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:635)

at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:104)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:205)

at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:1045)

at java.awt.Dialog$3.run(Dialog.java:1097)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1095)

at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.superShow(NbPresenter.java:985)

at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.doShow(NbPresenter.java:1019)

at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.run(NbPresenter.java:1007)

at org.netbeans.core.windows.services.NbPresenter.run(NbPresenter.java:115)

at org.openide.util.Mutex$1AWTWorker.run(Mutex.java:1370)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:199)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)

at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:104)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

ChemAxon fa971619eb

27-01-2010 19:31:22

IJC can connect to an Oracle or MySQL database on your computer or on your network. But that database must already be installed and running. IJC will not install an Oracle or MySQL database for you.  You must do this beforehand, or get your network administrator to do this for you. The MySQL or Oracle documentation should help you here.

Once you have this database running you connect to it using Create schema -> mysql -> ...
but you need to specify the JDBC URL of the database which (for MySQL on your local computer) will be something like:
jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/ijc

When the database is running IJC will be able to connect to it. These links should help you with connecting:
http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/admin/index.html />http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/user/help/htmlfiles/connections/about_schemas.html

In contrast IJC can create a local database for you, as this is running within IJC and is completly self contained within IJC.

Tim