Sequential Numbering in Instant JChem

ChemAxon 9682fe3ebe

04-12-2009 20:56:40

Can sequential numbers can be assigned to a library of compounds in the IJChem Personal database without having to individually input or edit each one (e.g., this can be done in Excel where a click and drag operation automatically creates a series of sequential numbers based on the inputted number in the first cell)?

I also created a list of sequential ID numbers (e.g., SBC-100,001, SBC-100,002, etc.) in Excel, then tried to copy and paste into my chemical spreadsheet, but all of the number copy into one cell in the IJChem spreadsheet (and couldn’t reformat the cells to achieve desired results).  As we have hundreds of compounds we’re now testing in multiple projects, I need to assign internal codes to each compound, but finding it too labor intensive to assign them manually.

ChemAxon fa971619eb

05-12-2009 09:18:53

The easiest way to achieve this is to set up the database to automatically assign values when a new row is inserted. That way the IDs appear automaically according to the rules and formatting you define.

This can be done by means of a database trigger. Exactly how it is set up is dependent on how you want the generated ID to look and on the particular database (Derby, MySQL and Oracle).

If you have a database administrator then they should easily be able to deal with this. If not then we can assist with this, but would need to defined exactly what is needed in more detail first.

Tim