Further feature/usability request...

User 2ddf1d2229

26-10-2009 10:51:22

...following on from my earlier posts about my view with >200 columns, after refining the materialised view so that there are now only about 190 columns :-/ I have now noticed that there is a problem promoting a field when column names are longer than 26 characters - see attached JPG screenshot.

I have several columns (they are all assay result types extracted from our ActivityBase database and prefixed with "R_" to allow easier user identification in the final grid view) which can't be promoted without making the column name shorter - this may be OK in some cases however in others shortening would remove the context/connection for the users.

So if the character limit could be raised to the Oracle default of 30 chars I would be grateful...

KR,

Andy

User 2ddf1d2229

26-10-2009 10:58:53

...an alternative would be for me to rename the fields in the materialized view so that they are shorter then recreate the view in IJC, however having just gone through the nightmare of renaming all those columns in IJC so that the database field name is not renamed (e.g. field M_RESEARCH_DOC_CODE is automatically renamed to M Research Doc Code) I would prefer another solution! :-)

KR,

Andy

ChemAxon fa971619eb

27-10-2009 12:02:35

Hi Andy, yes there is a problem here.

We will fix the column validation so that columns that already exist are not rejected and can be promoted to fields succesfully.

Tim

ChemAxon fa971619eb

10-03-2010 08:07:21

In IJC 5.3.1 we changed the validation of table and column names so that the actual limit used by each database is used (e.g. 30 characters for Oracle) and no validation is used when promoting exisitng tables/columns as their names are clearly already valid.

In some rare cases you may still need to change names, for instance when a name is generated from an existing name and becomes too long for the database to handle.