Grid Display in Marvin & Instant J Chem

ChemAxon 89bfcec588

09-07-2009 19:09:04

Could be seen as a redundant post, however I wanted to make sure I got all info as needed by a cleint who is using Marvin and IJC and is having difficulty in grid display modes. Following is his message, Please advice as appropriate -

"I’ve started using Marvin, but just a bit.

I have had no problems.

I was just looking for a way to display a grid of structures and then display that grid in Powerpoint.

I ended up taking screen shots of grid displays from Marvin.  I couldn’t figure out how to get a grid display from InstantJchem."

Thanks, anu

ChemAxon fa971619eb

09-07-2009 20:24:14

When you refer to "grid view of structures" I imagine you must be referring to a view which has n rows and m columns, with each cell displaying a structures. In IJC terminology we refer to this as "matrix view" as we already has something we call grid view, which is the classical spreadsheet view with one structure per row.

Now to answer the question :-)

Matrix view is not yet supported in IJC, but is a much requested feature and so will be implemented in the future. For now there are really two possible workarounds.

1. Export the structures you are interested in to a file, and then open the file in IJC. The file viewer uses a martix view, but it is pretty limited in capabilities. To open the file, you can either jsut double click on it in the projects window (assuming you saved the file to the project directory which is the default location) or drag an drop it onto IJC (e.g onto the welcome screen) form windows explorer or whatever file manager you are using).

2. Export the structures you are interested in to a file, and then open the file in Marvin View. This uses the same basic component to view the structures in a martix view, but has a few more capabilites.

I hope this helps.

Tim

ChemAxon 8b644e6bf4

13-07-2009 10:20:04

Dear Anu,

Currently displaying molecule table in Marvin View and taking screenshots seems to be the best solution. However, i woud like to note that there is a Print ... / All [visible] / Print preview menu in which the preview page provides a white border around the molecule table : this is easier to crop after taking a screenshot. Additionally if the user installs a third party printer driver which prints to an image file this functionality can be used to print directly to images. As far as i know currently we can generate images for single molecules.

Regards,

Gabor