Can't access my databases after migrating to SBS

User e05b1833aa

10-02-2009 10:02:50

Hi,

My laptop has been integrated into a SBS2008 server, and now I can't access my IJC projects. Presumably the absolute path to the databases has changed. Where does IJC keep track of this? IJC won't let me open anything, as soon as I select 'Open project...' I get a Java.lang.NullPointerException. Why doesn't it let me choose something?

Thanks,

HomerE

ChemAxon fa971619eb

10-02-2009 10:20:20

Can you send us the full information for the NullPointerException (attach the full stack trace to this forum topic). This will allow us to investigate the problem in full.

As you suggest, it is likely that the paths to the existing projects or databases have changed in somee way. I think you might need to clear out all your settings by deleting the "userdir" and then open each project afresh.

The location of the userdir can be found by using Help->About Instant JChem and then look for the "Userdir" property. Once you have found this directory on disk close IJC and delete the directory (or rename it). This directory just contains configuration information and (possibly) application updates. It does not contain your actual data.

Then restart IJC and try opening the project.

Tim

User e05b1833aa

10-02-2009 12:56:20

Hi,

I tried your suggestion, by renaming the ../.instantjchem/ijc_2_4 user folder, but this is immediately recreated once I restart IJC.

Is possible to import the Project files into another instance of IJC, running on Linux?

The message file from the log is attached.

ChemAxon fa971619eb

10-02-2009 17:19:59

The userdir will be re-created when you restart. This is normal.

By deleting the old one you will have removed any settings that might be causing problems due to the new locations.

Yes, the project files can just be copied to a different computer and should open file under linux. You need to copy the complete project directory (probably named ijc-project or similar) and all its contents.

I don't see the attached log file. Could you try again?

Tim

ChemAxon e189db4705

17-02-2009 14:24:33

Hi,

we were able to reproduce the problem you are describing. There is really a bug in IJC versions 2.4.x. The problem is that it's not possible to open project from network drive on Windows when the directory is not mapped as disk with letter (e.g. Z:, Y:, ...).

If you are accessing project from \\someserver\somedirectory\ijc_project then it doesn't work now. The simple workaround is to map the network drive as drive letter and then open the project from this drive.

Map drive instructions on Vista (XP is similar): http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/909d569b-ed98-4176-9f7c-6eed5201ba441033.mspx

The bug will be fixed in next major release (IJC 3.0). Sorry for inconvenience.

Let us know, please, if this doesn't help.

Petr

ChemAxon fa971619eb

15-05-2009 09:03:58

Hopefully the problems of using files using UNC notation has now been fixed in the IJC 2.5 release.

Tim

User e05b1833aa

20-05-2009 08:34:10

This seems to be working stably now, thanks for fixing this!

HomerE