I just installed the latest version of instant jchem and now I can't open my database (created using version 1). Any quick fix for this?
Could you tell me which version you are upgrading from and to (you mention version 1 which is very old)?
And could you send the details of any error messages you get.
I can open the database in v1.0.7 (WinXP)
When I try to open it using v2.3.1 (Mac OS X 10.5.5) the program appears to recognize the project folder as an Instant JChem project but will not open the datatable. There are no error messages.
The project folder contains 3 subfolders:
I'm guessing I need to somehow re-format the database for the newer versions?
IJC 1.0.7 is really pretty old version. We were supporting upgrade 1.0.x projects in IJC 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2. So now it's a little complicated, but still possible.
There are basically two ways how to convert your data to latest IJC version:
Important: Backup your project before doing anything with it.
1. Export and Import (through external file(s))
- export your data to appropriate file format (each table into a new file)
- start IJC 2.3.1 (or wait for IJC 2.4 which will be released really soon)
- create a new project with local database
- import file(s) into the new project
2. Convert project using IJC 2.2
- download IJC 2.2 and run it
- open your 1.0.7 project in it - you will be asked to upgrade project and also data content (follow the instructions in IJC)
- close project and exit IJC 2.2
- run IJC 2.3 and open this converted project. You will be asked to upgrade jchem data again
- maybe you will need to re-create views (gridview or forms) again, but it should be simple
I just tested the second approach and it works for me. If your data are not in too many tables I would recommend the first approach anyway (you won't need to install IJC 2.2).
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any problem with upgrade.