Shared projects

User 169b52bbd8

12-11-2008 02:19:23

Hi All,

Is it possible to deploy a shared project by putting the .ijp and .zip files on a shared network drive (and avoid the use of a web server)?

David

ChemAxon fa971619eb

12-11-2008 12:52:53

Hi David,

Yes, I think this should work.

You will need to use a file:// url rather thand a http:// one.

Also you will not be able to use the IJC URLs feature, as this requires deployment to a servlet compliant web server.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Tim

User 169b52bbd8

12-11-2008 22:46:50

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and using 'file:///path/to/file.ijp' gives me a red 'invalid url or config' message and a grey 'OK' button (Mac and Linux versions).

Cheers

David

ChemAxon fa971619eb

13-11-2008 09:10:55

Hi David,

Sorry, yes you seem to be correct.

In fact this bug is fixed in the 2.4 version, so I think you will be able to do this once that is out.

You can see a preview of the 2.4 version here.

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem-jws/dev/

We hope to release the final version next week.

Tim

User 169b52bbd8

13-11-2008 22:27:05

Thanks Tim. I'll try it out then.

Cheers

David

User 169b52bbd8

24-11-2008 04:17:53

Tim,

I have now tried this in version 2.4 and indeed it does work. It would be nice (from the novice user point of view) to have a regular file browser to open the .ijp file.

Is it possible to specify the location of the ijc license file in the .ijs file? If so, what is the syntax for this.

Cheers

David

ChemAxon fa971619eb

25-11-2008 08:00:07

Hi David,

The project deployment was designed for web based deployment, along with all the deployment featrues such as Java Web Start, and IJC URLs.

It was not really designed for deploying via shared files, with these happen to work because they can also be specified as a URL of the file: type.

So a file picker does not really make much sense here.

I think you shoudl be able to get around this just by sending people the correct file URL to use so that they can copy and paste it.

For licenses the best option is to deploy the license file as part of the Java Web Start configuration. See here for details.

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/admin/startup_options.html

Tim

User 169b52bbd8

25-11-2008 09:06:02

Hi Tim,

You may not have designed it that way, but I think that in our case where we have a network file system, it will work quite well. Certainly the addition of shared projects is a big improvement. Previously, the requirement for each user to connect to the database server and supply a username and password for both the database and IJC was quite complex. If you could, additionally, preconfigure the license file location, that would be one more complexity removed (as far as the standard user is concerned).

Personally, I am yet to be a convert to java webstart applications. One of the problems I have is losing the URL that points to them. If the application is installed on my hard disk, I can usually navigate to find it in my 'Applications' folder!

Thanks and regards

David

User 596f3ef229

25-11-2008 11:34:58

have you looked at the InstantJChem java webstart application? It actually copies the java code to your local folder and places an icon on the desktop - much like installing IJC using the windows installer. In my setup, the license file is also copied to the local drive from the server and the entire application can be used offline - again, much like IJC installed using the windows installer. In fact, the two versions are functionally identical from what I can see.

MC

PS good to see another Aust user!

ChemAxon fa971619eb

25-11-2008 15:02:06

Correct. The 2 versions are identical.

Albeit that deploying using JWS allows some extra things that can only really make sense in that environment e.g IJC URLs and deploying a license file as part of the JWS config.

Tim