Adding new columns

User e05b1833aa

04-09-2008 06:19:45

Hi,

I want to add a new column (field) where the values (text) will be the same for all entries in the database. What is the easiest way to do this? I managed to add a new text field, then entered the value manually for the first entry, copied this and pasted it into the cells below for all other entries, but this seems to take ages for ~120,000 compounds.

Is there another faster way?

Thanks in advance.

ChemAxon fa971619eb

04-09-2008 07:26:43

Generally speaking your current approach is the correct one.

We will investigate whether this can be speeded up or an alternative provided.

In this one special case there may be an alternative approach that might work for you.

1. When adding the field specify that a value is required and specify the value you want as a default. Adding the field will set the default value to all rows.

2. When done go to the field definition and change the required status back to false (if that's what you want) and remove the default value.

This should turn out to be much faster.

Tim

User e05b1833aa

04-09-2008 08:56:36

Thanks.

Step 1 worked well and fast.

But how do I get to where I can change the definitions back as in step 2?

Cheers

ChemAxon fa971619eb

04-09-2008 09:50:46

There are various ways you can access this, but all involve using the editor for the field settings.

If you are using a grid view displaying your data you can click on the Customise widget settings icon (the right hand one in the grid view toolbar), select the field, and then go to the field definition tab in the right hand side of the editor.

Alternatively you can open the schema editor (double click on the schema node in the projects window) and locate the field in the schema editor and change its settings there.

Tim