Authentication again

User 169b52bbd8

05-06-2008 03:44:12

Dear all (Tim),

Back to the problem of authentication: I wish to give a range of users access to a variety of databases. In principle, LDAP would be the best approach for this because I could utilise my existing authentication system.

However, the MySQL back end does not (as far as I can determine) support using LDAP for logging into the database. Mysql-administrator does provide a reasonable interface for user management - so that is not too bad.

Is it possible to create an IJC authentication mode such that authentication to Mysql alone is sufficient to allow use of the IJC database?

ie. I log into Mysql by providing a username/password. If I have Mysql permission to use a particular database then IJC would take the Mysql username and let me use the database.

Regards and thanks for all the help provided to date.

David

ChemAxon fa971619eb

05-06-2008 07:26:14

David,

In principle it would be possible to provide such an authentication mechanism, but we don't currently have this, and I don't think its likely to be done in the near future (too many other things to do!).

So I think you will have to stick with LDAP.

You would only need to set up a single MySQL username/password for each database. LDAP can then be used for all your users of all of these databases.

Tim