IJC ports/firewall

User 646cb12a16

04-06-2008 15:00:09

I have an Oracle machine here behind a firewall, and need to let some IJC clients access it using JDBC. I can open and forward any ports I need to, but don't know which ones need to be opened. So far I have opened and forwarded 1521 and 12 to the Oracle machine, but I still get a JDBC "the network adapter could not establish the connection" error.

And just to be clear, I do not need to install the Oracle client on the IJC client machines, right? My client machines inside the firewall all have the Oracle client installed, and they all work fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Iestyn

ChemAxon fa971619eb

04-06-2008 15:06:38

IJC uses the oracle thin driver, so the Oracle client is not needed.

All communication with the DB should be through JDBC, and using port 1521 (assuming you use the default). I'm not aware of any other ports that might need to be open.

You might need to use a packet sniffer to work out what extra ports might be needed.

Tim

User 646cb12a16

04-06-2008 18:11:19

Thank you. I used a port sniffer and re-discovered that Windows Oracle servers use a dispatcher that assigns a random unused port for each session, where 1521 is only used for the initial "handshake". You can get around the problem by putting your Windows Oracle server in multiple service mode and assign a single mts process. Long story short, a lot of googling led me to the magic Oracle incantation to force it to communicate only over port 1521, and all is well now. Thanks for a great product.

ChemAxon fa971619eb

04-06-2008 18:22:28

Another "nice" oracle feature :-)

Its depressing how often oracle needs special treatment.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be useful to others.

Tim