java.awt.AWTException: java.awt.Robot requires your X server

User 9dfba30b6f

06-03-2008 16:49:42

Hi,

I installed instantjchem 2.2.1 on my LINUX machine:

Config is:

Product Version = Instant JChem 2.2.1

Operating System = Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.11-default running on i386

Java; VM; Vendor = 1.6.0_02; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.6.0_02-b05; Sun Microsystems Inc.

Java Home = /opt/instantjchem/jre

System Locale; Encoding = de_DE (instantjchem); UTF-8

Home Directory = /root

Current Directory = /opt/instantjchem/bin

User Directory = /root/.instantjchem/ijc_2_2

Installation = /opt/instantjchem/instantjchem

/opt/instantjchem/ide8

/opt/instantjchem/platform7

After nearly every action I do within the application I get the above mentioned error:

java.awt.AWTException: java.awt.Robot requires your X server support the XTEST extension version 2.2

After that I added "option" XTEST" "ENABLE" in my xorg.conf, restarted the X-server but nothing changed.

Any idea??

Michael

ChemAxon fa971619eb

07-03-2008 09:34:52

Not much of an idea really. Can you provide a full stack trace of the error.

It would seem to be a problem with the XServer configuration. But you seem to have enabled XTEST, The error message state that it needs version 2.2 of XTEST. Are you using this version?

What variant and version of Linux are you running?

Tim

ChemAxon fa971619eb

07-03-2008 09:42:39

Have a look at this:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6329226

Syntax suggested there is:

enable XTEST(X11R6)

Tim

User 9dfba30b6f

07-03-2008 10:00:02

Hi Tim,

thanks for the rapid answer!

This is the whole stuff that comes out when I start instantjchem, open a project and try to view a database in grid view (The version of the operating system is quoted again at the top tof the post):

>Log Session: Friday, March 7, 2008 10:43:42 AM CET

>System Info:

Product Version = Instant JChem 2.2.1

Operating System = Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.11-default running on i386

Java; VM; Vendor = 1.6.0_02; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.6.0_02-b05; Sun Microsystems Inc.

Java Home = /opt/instantjchem/jre

System Locale; Encoding = de_DE (instantjchem); UTF-8

Home Directory = /root

Current Directory = /opt/instantjchem/bin

User Directory = /root/.instantjchem/ijc_2_2

Installation = /opt/instantjchem/instantjchem

/opt/instantjchem/ide8

/opt/instantjchem/platform7

Boot & Ext. Classpath = /opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/resources.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/rt.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/jce.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/classes:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/ext/dnsns.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/ext/sunpkcs11.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/ext/sunjce_provider.jar:/opt/instantjchem/jre/lib/ext/localedata.jar

Application Classpath = /opt/instantjchem/platform7/lib/boot.jar:/opt/instantjchem/platform7/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/opt/instantjchem/platform7/lib/org-openide-util.jar

Startup Classpath = /opt/instantjchem/platform7/core/core.jar:/opt/instantjchem/platform7/core/org-openide-filesystems.jar:/opt/instantjchem/bin/./../instantjchem/core/locale/core_instantjchem.jar

Now tons of warnings:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: had to upgrade dependencies for module com.im.ijc.core: added = [module org.openide.options > 6.7] removed = []; details: [#88531 Remove SystemOption usage from PrintSettings]

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: had to upgrade dependencies for module com.im.ijc.standardizer: added = [module org.openide.options > 6.7] removed = []; details: [#88531 Remove SystemOption usage from PrintSettings]

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: had to upgrade dependencies for module com.im.ijc.project: added = [module org.openide.options > 6.7] removed = []; details: [#88531 Remove SystemOption usage from PrintSettings]

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: had to upgrade dependencies for module com.im.ijc.widgets: added = [module org.openide.options > 6.7] removed = []; details: [#88531 Remove SystemOption usage from PrintSettings]

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: had to upgrade dependencies for module com.im.ijc.structurefiles: added = [module org.openide.options > 6.7] removed = []; details: [#88531 Remove SystemOption usage from PrintSettings]

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.db uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.core uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.editor uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use

org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.widgets uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.project uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.welcome uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.properties.syntax uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.xml.text uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.renderers uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.standardizer uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.db.sql.editor uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module com.im.ijc.structurefiles uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.options.editor uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.editor.codetemplates uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.core.modules]: the module org.netbeans.modules.editor.plain uses org.openide.options which is deprecated: Use org.openide.util.NbPreferences instead.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.DataLoader]: Use of super(com.im.ijc.core.ds.SchemaConnectionDataObject.class) in com.im.ijc.core.ds.SchemaConnectionDataLoader() should be replaced with super("com.im.ijc.core.ds.SchemaConnectionDataObject") to reduce unnecessary class loading

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.modules.settings.convertors.XMLSettingsSupport]: Warning: unknown module code base: org.netbeans.modules.welcome in MultiFileObject@187b287[Services/WelcomeOptions.settings]

After that some INFO (partially deleted:

INFO [com.im.df.localdb.api.ProjectDatabaseSupport]: Creating project db for root/IJCProjects/ijc-project .config of type derby .......

Then some more warnings:

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@97d3f0[Shortcuts/DELETE[org-openide-actions-DeleteAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: (Please use the string-valued file attribute instanceClass instead.)

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@1088a1b[Shortcuts/D-P[org-openide-actions-PrintAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: (Please use the string-valued file attribute instanceClass instead.)

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@946d22[Shortcuts/D-Z[org-openide-actions-UndoAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@1d7fc31[Shortcuts/D-C[org-openide-actions-CopyAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@1b83048[Shortcuts/D-R[org-openide-actions-ReplaceAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@145f5e3[Shortcuts/D-S[org-openide-actions-SaveAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@13e6226[Shortcuts/D-Y[org-openide-actions-RedoAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@1429cb2[Shortcuts/D-F4[org-openide-actions-CloseViewAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@15af049[Shortcuts/D-X[org-openide-actions-CutAction].instance] is deprecated.

WARNUNG [org.openide.loaders.InstanceDataObject]: Use of [] in MultiFileObject@97e3a5[Shortcuts/D-V[org-openide-actions-PasteAction].instance] is deprecated.

Diagnostic information

Input arguments:

-Djdk.home=/opt/instantjchem/jre

-Dnetbeans.dirs=./../instantjchem:./../ide8:

-Dnetbeans.home=/opt/instantjchem/platform7

-Xms48m

-Xmx128m

-Dderby.system.home=derby

-Dnetbeans.logger.console=true

-ea

-Dorg.netbeans.ProxyClassLoader.level=1000

-DuseGtk=false

Compiler: HotSpot Client Compiler

Heap memory usage: initial 48,0MB maximum 127,1MB

Non heap memory usage: initial 32,2MB maximum 116,0MB

Garbage collector: Copy (Collections=42 Total time spent=0s)

Garbage collector: MarkSweepCompact (Collections=1 Total time spent=0s)

Classes: loaded=5484 total loaded=5485 unloaded 1

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.modules.editor.impl.KitsTracker]: Inconsistent mime type declaration for the kit: org.netbeans.modules.xml.text.syntax.XMLKit@d0cdd0; mimeType from the kit is 'text/xml, but the kit is registered for 'text/xml-external-parsed-entity'

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.modules.editor.impl.KitsTracker]: No mime type uses editor kit implementation class: class org.netbeans.editor.BaseKit

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.progress.spi.InternalHandle]: Setting ProgressHandle.setInitialDelay() after the task is started has no

effect

INFO [com.im.df.localdb.impl.DerbyProjectDatabase]: URL: jdbc:derby:/root/IJCProjects/ijc-project/.config/localdb/db;upgrade=true

WARNUNG [org.netbeans.progress.spi.InternalHandle]: Setting ProgressHandle.setInitialDelay() after the task is started has no

effect

Database Info:

Product name: Apache Derby

Product version: 10.2.1.7 - (453981M)

Major version: 10

Minor version: 2

INFO [com.im.df.impl.db.persist.IJCPropertiesDao]: Initializing IJCPropertiesDao

effect

INFO [com.im.df.impl.db.sprovider.ConnectedToDBState]: Using anonymous authentication

INFO [com.im.df.impl.db.persist.AuthenticationInterceptor]: Logged in user admin with roles ROLE_USER,ROLE_EDIT_DATA,ROLE_EDIT_SCHEMA,ROLE_ADMIN

effect

effect

This happens after trying to enter grid view:

SEVERE [global]

java.awt.AWTException: java.awt.Robot requires your X server support the XTEST extension version 2.2

at sun.awt.X11.XRobotPeer.setup(Native Method)

at sun.awt.X11.XRobotPeer.<init>(Unknown Source)

at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.createRobot(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Robot.init(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Robot.<init>(Unknown Source)

[catch] at com.im.ijc.widgets.table.TableRowResizer.<init>(TableRowResizer.java:44)

at com.im.ijc.widgets.table.TableRowHeader.<init>(TableRowHeader.java:91)

at com.im.ijc.widgets.table.WBTable.addNotify(WBTable.java:485)

at java.awt.Container.addNotify(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JComponent.addNotify(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)

at com.im.ijc.gridview.GridViewTopComponent.updatePanel(GridViewTopComponent.java:175)

at com.im.ijc.gridview.GridViewTopComponent.access$300(GridViewTopComponent.java:61)

at com.im.ijc.gridview.GridViewTopComponent$2.phase2InAWT(GridViewTopComponent.java:158)

at com.im.df.util.BackgroundRunner$3.run(BackgroundRunner.java:128)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

The XTEST issue:

I'm not so involved with X. I simply added the line "XTEST" "ENABLE" into my xorg.conf without checking what version of XTEST I have (if any!). To me it looks like a seldom used option in a production environment (for debugging purposes only - a comment in xorg.conf).

Am I really the only one having this problem? - sounds strange!

Thanks again for your time.

Michael

User 9dfba30b6f

07-03-2008 13:54:42

tdudgeon wrote:
Have a look at this:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6329226

Syntax suggested there is:

enable XTEST(X11R6)

Tim
Hi Tim,

thanks for that (interstingly this seems to be the only bit of information on the subject - at least based on google searches).

I tried (in xorg.conf):
Code:
Section "Extensions"

Option     "XTEST(X11R6)" "Enable" #  Mostly a debugging tool

EndSection

which reflects the file structure better than the suggestion given above, but did'nt help!

Now I'm really kind of helpless .... :-((

Michael

ChemAxon fa971619eb

07-03-2008 14:26:12

We are looking to see whether we can remove use of the java.awt.Robot class in IJC (that is where the problems are coming from), Currently we're not sure whether this is possible.

But in the meantime I'm not sure what can be done to solve this. It looks like your X Server does not have the XTEST component, or its not loading, or its too old a version. Maybe you can ask on some X Windows forum, or ask on the forums for your particualr flavour of Linux.

What flavour of Linux is it anyway? Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.11-default only tells us about the kernel version, not the Linux distribution (Red Hat, Ubuntu....).

Tim

User 9dfba30b6f

07-03-2008 14:37:43

tdudgeon wrote:
We are looking to see whether we can remove use of the java.awt.Robot class in IJC (that is where the problems are coming from), Currently we're not sure whether this is possible.

But in the meantime I'm not sure what can be done to solve this. It looks like your X Server does not have the XTEST component, or its not loading, or its too old a version. Maybe you can ask on some X Windows forum, or ask on the forums for your particualr flavour of Linux.

What flavour of Linux is it anyway? Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.11-default only tells us about the kernel version, not the Linux distribution (Red Hat, Ubuntu....).

Tim
Hi Tim,

oh sorry. It is Suse Linux 9.3. At the time I update the system and try to look what the hell this XTEST stuff is at all - and where to get it. Not very much to learn about in the web?!

Again thank you very much - by the way: JChem is great stuff!!

I try to implement it as part of my WebPage which works with chemical structures for educational purposes. Hope I can manage this!

Michael

ChemAxon fa971619eb

29-04-2008 16:19:19

We have fixed this problem in IJC 2.3.