Entity Names in project window and Schema editor dont match

User 677b9c22ff

03-08-2007 00:05:11

Hi,

I am not quite sure, but if I rename a database in the project window, still the old name is displayed in the schema editor.

However if I rename it in the schema editor, it asks: Pending changes ongoing - and the it correctly renames the name in the schema editor and also the project window.

Tobias

User 677b9c22ff

03-08-2007 00:13:35

Hi,

I think its even more complicated, and I dont know if its a bug or a feature. renaming a database in the schema editor updates also the name in the project window.

Renaming a standard DB entity in the schema editor, does not

rename the project DB field.

My version number is 200610171010 (can you allow copy/paste from the help menu I always have to type the numbers by hand)

Thank you

Tobias

ChemAxon fa971619eb

05-08-2007 10:07:47

I'm not exactly clear what you are referring to here. There are 3 IJC artifacts that you might be referring to here: Schema, Entity and Data Tree. Schemas and Data Trees are displayed in the project explorer. Entities represent the individual database tables and are a component of a Data Tree, and are seen in the Schema Editor.

See here for descriptions:

http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_2_0/docs/user/help/htmlfiles/ijc_terminology.html

I think what you might be referring to is renaming a Data Tree in the project explorer?

As the Data Tree has an Entity at its root node, it can be thought of as "representing" that entity, and so, by default is given the same name. However this name is independent of that of the Entity as IJC can have multiple DataTrees that "represent" the same Entity, and so must be able to have distinct names for each. Therefore renaming the DataTree in the project Explorer does not rename the Entity at its root node.

In some cases we are able to make assumptions and automatically rename other related artifacts (e.g when you rename an Entity in the Schema Editor any Data Trees that use this Entity at the root element will be renamed). But at other times it would be wrong to try to second guess what the user might be wanting.

Tim

ChemAxon e189db4705

05-08-2007 19:03:16

tdudgeon wrote:

....e.g when you rename an Entity in the Schema Editor any Data Trees that use this Entity at the root element will be renamed...

Tim
Just a minor comment: The automatic rename of data tree in this case works only if the data tree's name contains original name of the entity. Then only the entity name part of the data tree's name is replaced. E.g. entity rename "myEntity" to "myEntity2" will change the data tree's name "Datatree for myEntity" -> "Datatree for myEntity2". If data tree's name doesn't contain "myEntity" then data tree is not renamed.

User 677b9c22ff

06-08-2007 01:35:51

Hi,

my understanding is, that the project window shows all my DBs in one given project. If I create a new loacaldb in the project window it creates a new localdB. However this DB will not show up in the SCHEMA editor instantly (I have to reopen the Schema editor). Thats not nice but ok, however:

If I create ad localDB in the Project window and open the Schema Editor I can see it there, but If I delete the DB in the project window it is still existing in the Schema Editor window.

However If I delete the localDB in the Schema Editor it is really deleted in both views.

Tobias

ChemAxon fa971619eb

07-08-2007 14:10:20

The schema editor shows the contents of a single database schema. If you have multiple database schemas in any one project then each one will have its own schema editor.

The schema editor shows the contents of that particular database schema.

Tim

User 677b9c22ff

07-08-2007 21:38:25

Thank you!

Tobias