Feature request: 2000 chemical terms at your fingertip

User 677b9c22ff

16-11-2006 04:37:59

Hi,

I like the little drop down window, which opens in the chemical terms filter and has currently only:

Bioavailability

Ghose filter

Lead likeness

Lipinski rule of 5

Muegge filter

Veber filter

I am thinking about a really nifty feature which provides all terms from cxcalc, evaluator and all other possible ChemAxon and user resources.

http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/user/ChemicalTerms.html

It could even contain fingerprint features, like these which contain over 1000 fingerprints calculated from smarts/smiles:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubchem/specifications/pubchem_fingerprints.txt

The whole feature implemented as XML like in the TOOLS-Template-Manager would give a helpful resource to all users and could contain all the helpful material ChemAxon assembled over the years and which is sometimes hidden in the DOCs. These terms or features carefully sorted in XML-subdirectories and divided in default and user would be really nice. Because over the years ChemAxon added many additional properties which can be calculated and which are sometimes lost in space. Each user could add their own needed terms.

This feature list would also be helpful provided in/during

1) the "query window"

2) the "add columns window"

3) the "add 1000 columns with these selected features" window

I must admit the combined drop down menu with the originally 5 combined terms inspired this idea and the GUI and such handy tools can make the whole Instant-JChem a really powerful but easy to use tool.

Tobias

ChemAxon fa971619eb

16-11-2006 08:40:37

Two changes that will be happening at some stage should provide most of what you want.

Firstly the the chemical terms editor will provide code completion capabilitites, so that when you type in Ctrl-space you get a popup list of available terms, or if you have already typed the first few characters then you get the list of possible completions (you get descriptions of the terms in the popup list as well). This will make typing your own terms easier.

Secondly, we will be making the list of favourites user-editable, so that you can aded your own definitions to it.

User 677b9c22ff

17-11-2006 06:30:09

Hi Tim,

thats great, code completion is good. I like a tree-style selection also, because otherwise you dont know what kind of stuff you can select, but lets see first....

Tobias

User 677b9c22ff

12-01-2007 04:39:53

Hi,

I am not sure but, I remember Tim wrote that I can only define

the terms I want to calculate during DB import by adding them one after one.

Now it would be easy to code soemething in JAVA (I guess ;-)

so that one can calculate/import all terms at once during import, without typing them. See the table at end.

There are some atom based terms, but at least all the obvoius descriptors

would be nice, this could also solve the problem that constantly new descriptors or atom properties are added by ChemAxon, hence such a XML template could be updated with the Automatic Update Center too (a feature I really like a lot).

I dont know if it would make sense to add other features which require

the input of an additional value like pKa('pKa', '1') or such descriptors

which require the input of an atom number like stericHindrance(1) which would require an automatic drill-down analysis, hence when the molecule

has 14 carbon atoms it will provide a complete and automatic coverage

for atom 1..14 - ok maybe thats to complicated for Instant-JChem.

Tobias

Such an XML termplate table could/should include (+future extensions):

1 atomcount

2 composition

3 dotdisconnectedformula

4 elemanal

5 exactmass

6 formula

7 icomposition

8 iformula

9 mass

10 atompol

11 averagepol

12 avgpol

13 axxpol

14 ayypol

15 azzpol

16 charge

17 ioncharge

18 molpol

19 oen

20 orbitalelectronegativity

21 pol

22 polarizability

23 tpol

24 tpolarizability

25 conformers

26 hasvalidconformer

27 leconformer

28 moldyn

29 aliphaticatom

30 aliphaticatomcount

31 aliphaticbondcount

32 aliphaticringcount

33 angle

34 aromaticatom

35 aromaticatomcount

36 aromaticbondcount

37 aromaticringcount

38 asymmetricatom

39 asymmetricatomcount

40 balabanindex

41 bondcount

42 bondtype

43 carboaromaticringcount

44 carboringcount

45 chainatom

46 chainatomcount

47 chainbond

48 chainbondcount

49 chiralcenter

50 chiralcentercount

51 connected

52 connectedgraph

53 cyclomaticnumber

54 dihedral

55 distance

56 distancedegree

57 dreidingenergy

58 eccentricity

59 fusedaliphaticringcount

60 fusedaromaticringcount

61 fusedringcount

62 hararyindex

63 heteroaromaticringcount

64 heteroringcount

65 hindrance

66 hyperwienerindex

67 largestatomringsize

68 largestringsize

69 msa

70 plattindex

71 psa

72 randicindex

73 ringatom

74 ringatomcount

75 ringbond

76 ringbondcount

77 ringcount

78 ringcountofatom

79 rotatablebond

80 rotatablebondcount

81 shortestpath

82 smallestatomringsize

83 smallestringsize

84 stericeffectindex

85 szegedindex

86 topanal

87 wienerindex

88 wienerpolarity

89 canonicalresonant

90 canonicaltautomer

91 doublebondstereoisomers

92 resonantcount

93 resonants

94 stereoisomers

95 tautomercount

96 tautomers

97 tetrahedralstereoisomers

98 logd

99 logp

100 majorms

101 msdistr

102 pi

103 pka

104 acc

105 acceptor

106 acceptorcount

107 accsitecount

108 don

109 donor

110 donorcount

111 donsitecount

112 energy

113 hbda

114 huckel

115 msacc

116 msdon

117 order

118 pichargedensity

119 pienergy

120 refractivity

121 totalchargedensity

ChemAxon fa971619eb

12-01-2007 08:24:45

You mean you want to have all of those chem terms calculated for your structure tables? Really!

If this is the case then:

1. The import will be very slow as all the chem terms are being calculated

2. Some DBs will have problems as there are limits to the number of columns that can be in a table (32 for Oracle if a remember correctly, though this may be version dependent).

One thing that might be worth considering is defining your table with all the chem terms columns first and then importing the structures into it. That way adding the chem terms columns will be very fast as the table contains no strucutures, and the import will be slow as the calculations are being done as you import each structure. But his way you do not have to wait for each chem terms column to complete before you add the next, so the process should be easier.

In IJC 2.0 we have queing of adding columns, so that you can add a new one whilst a chem terms calculation is running. The addition get queued and starts when the previous one finishes.

We also plan to allow multiple columns to be added and calculated at once, but this is not yet implemented and may take some time to be ready.

Tim

User 677b9c22ff

12-01-2007 18:56:33

Hi Tim,
tdudgeon wrote:
You mean you want to have all of those chem terms calculated for your structure tables? Really!

If this is the case then:

1. The import will be very slow as all the chem terms are being calculated

I am a fan of speed :-) I still hope JChem is getting faster and faster from day to day. Also I can use an 8 core Opteron, so I dont really care how long it will take.

And I am interested in using Instant-JChem. For all other stuff I can probably use Dragon and some of our Opteron clusters.
tdudgeon wrote:

2. Some DBs will have problems as there are limits to the number of columns that can be in a table (32 for Oracle if a remember correctly, though this may be version dependent).

I mean for Instant-JChem, not for Oracle or MySQL....

[Oracle 10g Release: The absolute maximum number of columns in a table is 1000. However, when you create an object table or a relational table with columns of object, nested table, varray, or REF type, Oracle Database maps the columns of the user-defined types to relational columns, in effect creating hidden columns that count toward the 1000-column limit. ORacle.com

]
tdudgeon wrote:

In IJC 2.0 we have queing of adding columns, so that you can add a new one whilst a chem terms calculation is running. The addition get queued and starts when the previous one finishes.

We also plan to allow multiple columns to be added and calculated at once, but this is not yet implemented and may take some time to be ready.

Tim
Ok, my problem is, doing this one by one for 120-200 terms

will take 10 seconds each plus hundreds of mouse clicks.

Why not provide a template like in MVIEW the

Topology Analysis Options where all terms are clicked

already and then its scheduled and can calculate.

Maybe your implementation already looks like that,

and I am just talking in circles .-)

Tobias