How to reference several object of one table into another

User a54d4c89af

11-04-2016 14:57:54

sorry if the question was already answered.

Situation: A set of compounds are associated with a list of one or more bibliographic references. I have the idea that one table shall contain the chemical structures plus keys to another bibliographic table containing the references.

1/ Do this structure of database if possible?

2/ Any clue how to implement it? Is it possible with InstantJChem?

Thanks in advance,

Gilles Marcou

ChemAxon 26d92e5dcd

13-04-2016 07:54:09

Dear Gilles,

yes, this is certainly possible as Instant JChem relies on relational database model underneath it. 

The situation that you describe is fitting for a 1:N (one to many) relational model, so what you basically need is:

Please consult this tutorial in the documentation for more details here.

Wishing all the best

David

User a54d4c89af

14-04-2016 12:54:02

Thanks for your answer David. Reading you I realized I was describing a many-to-many relationship, that implies setting up a join table. A table Subs contains the compounds, a table Ref contains the references and of course, a table SubsRef must be defined as the join table. It maps to the foreign keys of Subs and to the foreign keys of Ref.

Thanks again.

Gilles Marcou

ChemAxon 26d92e5dcd

14-04-2016 13:22:02

Dear Gilles,

you are welcome. Regarding the join table, if you use our Many-to-Many relationship settings wizard, the join table will be created automatically under the hood for your information.

Wishing all the best

David

User a54d4c89af

15-04-2016 19:18:35

Hi David,

you're right, the many-to-many option creates the join table behind the scene. But, I think it is difficult to feed the structure. Either of two cases:

- the database structure is build first and data are added next.

- the database tables are already there and feeding the automatically created table requires SQL commands (dangerous and difficult).

Feeding the tables with data from files, in my opinion, is more easy if the n:n relationship is emulated by the 1:n|n:1 relationships. But maybe i'm wrong, do you know a smarter option?

However emulating the n:n relationship allows building intuitive formular too.

Ciao,

Gilles Marcou

ChemAxon 26d92e5dcd

20-04-2016 08:11:25

Dear Gilles,

the best solution in my opinion would be to create the tables with the desired data by importing it from files and then adding the relationship between the tables manually via IJC. 

Basically, as you suggest as the easiest way.

The other way with building the database structure first and then importing the data will also work and our customers rely on both ways, but the second option might be more challenging. 

Wishing all the best

David

User a54d4c89af

20-04-2016 08:36:34

Hi David,

thanks for your insight.

Ciao,

Gilles Marcou