How to create an Oracle table for update via IJC

User 1aa9eab515

08-01-2013 16:32:04

Hello,

How do I create a remote database (Oracle) properly so that I can use Instant JChem to update this database ?

Apparently it is not sufficient to create a JCHEM.JC_IDXTYPE on a table containing smiles or molfile.
Such a database can be searched via JDBC, but there is no schema shown in Instant JChem Connect to Schema dialog (Pick up schema).

Also a table created via jchem_table_pkg.create_jctable is not listed in this IJC dialog.

I'm using Instant JChem 5.11.0.

Thanks,
Bernd-Juergen

ChemAxon 2bdd02d1e5

11-01-2013 14:41:46

Hi Bernd,

There has to be Instant JChem schema already created in the remote database. To do so, click to File -> New Schema. Choose Oracle template and specify the connection details.

After connecting, there are no tables listed in Projects window yet. The tables must me promoted first. Here is the link to documentation: http://www.chemaxon.com/instantjchem/ijc_latest/docs/user/help/htmlfiles/editing_database/existing_schemas.html

Filip

User 1aa9eab515

11-01-2013 19:35:52

Hi Filip,

That's exactly what I did.

First attempt: I did run a create index of JCHEM.JC_IDXTYPE on a table with a column containing structures. Index has been created, but after restarting IJC, schema was not listed.

Second attempt: I did create a table using JCHEM.jchem_table_pkg.create_jctable. Table has been created. However, after restart of IJC,  schema was still not listed.

Which of the methods should result in display of the schema / table in IJC pick up dialog ?

Kind regards,
Bernd-Juergen

User 1aa9eab515

11-01-2013 20:55:26

Hi Filip,

Sorry, I didn't read your reply carefully. Following your first hint, I finally saw the table etc.

Problem is the terminology. As I did create the schema and table in Oracle, I did assume 2nd exit (Connect to schema) would be the right one. However, for IJC this schema is new. Perhaps the dialog should read

1st option:    New IJC schema
2nd option:  Connect to IJC schema

Furthermore, your web pages contain a lot of information. However it is not so clear what is found where. I would prefer a download of a pdf file with bookmarks. I had no time to read the online documentation when I was in the office, and connection was terribly slow when I had time at home. Thus I didn't reach section

Using existing database tables

Finally, it would be helpful to have a tutorial for the connection to a remote database, instead of  "virtually equivalent" to the steps for a local database. IJC local uses a proprietary file based system, which may behave differently from an Oracle installation. A driver's instruction for UK will also not be based on "same as in Germany except that you drive on left lane".

Kind regards,
Bernd-Juergen

ChemAxon 2bdd02d1e5

14-01-2013 12:50:49

Hi Bernd-Juergen,

I'm glad that it finally works for you.

You wrote good points. We try to improve things as you suggested.

Many thanks for your valuable feedback.

Filip