pKa value of ephedrine, N-methylephedrine, norephedrine

User 5508363905

10-06-2006 00:33:40

Some of my colleagues have challenged the pKa values Marvin calculates for ephedrine, N-methylephedrine and norephedrine stating that the basicity should follow the general trend of tertiary > secondary > primary. Marvin shows the reverse trend. Is there an explaination for this behavior?

User 851ac690a0

13-06-2006 10:01:01

Dear Carl,

With the improved pKa calculator I obtained the next values:

ephedrine: 9.52 (9.60)

N-methyl ephedrine 9.06 (9.30)

norephedrine 9.37 (smaller than 9.44)

Literature values are given in parenthesis.

Jozsi

User 5508363905

13-06-2006 15:39:26

Any ideas as to why the basicity of the tertiary is lower than the primary and secondary? The secondary is the most basic. Is there some special circumstance/structure in this molecule to explain this?

Anyone?

Where did you get your pKa values (reference)?

When will this improved calculator be available?

I still get anomolous pKa values for nucleobases (adenine, etc.).

Is there a beta available?

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

13-06-2006 17:58:24

Carl,

Józsi is on holiday until the end of next week. He will send a detailed response when he is back. Some comments until then:
Quote:
Any ideas as to why the basicity of the tertiary is lower than the primary and secondary? The secondary is the most basic. Is there some special circumstance/structure in this molecule to explain this?
I think this is usually the case: secondary amines are stronger than tertiary amines because of steric effects. (Józsi will correct me if I am wrong)
Quote:
When will this improved calculator be available?
We will release Marvin after fixing a few bugs (not related to pKa calculation). Hopefully very soon.
Quote:
Is there a beta available?
The latest test release is at http://www.chemaxon.com/shared/alpha/marvin/, but this doesn't look like to produce the same numbers that Józsi posted, so please wait for the release.

User 851ac690a0

28-06-2006 16:06:09

Dear Carls,

I obtained our pKa data from our "in house" database.

If you calculates solvent accesible surface area increments of atoms of ephedrine derivatives you will obtain the next values:

prim. amin: 7.01 [Angstrom]

sec. amin: 8.71 [Angstrom]

tert. amin : 5.48 [Angstrom]

These values are in good agreement with calculated pKa order.

Jozsi