MarvinSketch 5.11.0 applet performance problems on Mac

User 870ab5b546

24-09-2012 18:17:03

I'm looking at MarvinSketch 5.11.0 at your site on Safari 5.1.7, Firefox 15.0.1, and Chrome 21.0 on MacOS 10.6.8.

1. It took three times opening and closing Safari before I could get it to launch MarvinSketch.

2. In all three, the Atoms 2 toolbar (with the + and - buttons) is invisible, even though the box is checked under View -> Toolbars....  Unchecking and rechecking the box has no effect.  Other toolbars work properly.

3. In Safari, the + and - keys do not change the charge of a molecule.  They do work properly in Firefox and Chrome.

4. In Firefox, the menus do not work properly.  If I right-click on an atom, the contextual menu appears briefly, but it quickly closes, and the File menu opens up.  Likewise, if I click on the Atom menu, as soon as I try to move to one of the options, the menu closes and the File menu opens instead.  I don't have this problem in Safari or Chrome.

I'll post again if I find any more problems.  But not being able to set charge is pretty bad.

User 870ab5b546

03-10-2012 21:30:32

Checking out Marvin 5.11.1, problem (3) above is solved.  Problems (2) and (4) are still present.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

18-11-2012 17:55:38

Hi Bob,

I have tried the mentioned problems, I have updated my
firefox it has downloaded 16.0.1, and Chrome is also a newer one its 23.0.x on my Mac test environment.

With Safari, I could not reproduce
the issues, excpet the loading issue, which is something also related to heartbeat,
and happens because a heartbeat exception is killing the vm while a
resource is loading (according to the consoloe logs).

While I have tried to reproduce 2, I have encountered a more severe issue, the applet did not show up. On FF I could click on it, and for example menus showed up, but I could not see the applet itself. The issues with the menu is still persits in FF just got to be even worse. Crome hangs on the tab where the page that contained the applet is. I assume this is a more general issue with FF and Chrome, since the applet on the official java test page (http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp) behaves the same.

Currently I can not proceed with this further since in Safari for me all things are working when the applet is loaded. I am filing the resource loading issue into our bug tracker for further investigation, that caused some headache last week also with IE on windows for me, but the others are considered as they are not a Marvin specific bug, and I could not find a workaround on the web until now unfortunatelly.

Regards,
Istvan